• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • River
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2022

90 grain TNT on deer

My son asked to take my 6.5 Grendel hunting. I didn't care so I said have at it. I have not carried it hunting yet. I forgot that I had 90 grain TNT hand loads in the magazine. When I remembered he was already in the deer stand. I text him and said you are shooting a varmint bullet, make sure you put it in the ribs and not the front shoulder. Well not long later he said he missed the opportunity at shooting a wide 8 point. I said well quit texting and pay attention. 5 minutes later he said I shot him at 15 yards broadside. I asked if it killed it. He said well it donkey kicked and ran off. I was nervous. 30 minutes later he said it only went about 10 yards into the briars of the cutover. After dark I got down and drove home to help load it. There was an entrance wound but no exit wound. When we skinned it I found what was left of the bullet on the opposite side. I have not weighed it but there is very little bullet left. You could see 2-3 other bruises where fragments tried to come through the ribs but didn't make it. I feel certain the vitals was just mush but I didn't cut it open to inspect it.

The result was a dead deer with a very short blood trail. I would not try it again but it did work once. I doubt the bullet would have got through the front shoulder. I wish I had took pictures of the wounds to post.

River
  • Scrape hunter
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2019

That bullet will work fine if you put it where it needs to go bust them lungs dead deer ......

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

TNT bullets do an excellent job of tissue damage and have the ability to go through some heavy bone, but no, you should not expect them to overpenetrate on larger animals and if there is overpenetration, it will be in fragments. Usually when I find parts of a TNT bullet, the largest is the bases and maybe only 10-20 grains.
      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• lazyengineer
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2019

Not saying my count is large - DNS is the man to listen to.
        but what I have shot with a TNT 90 died.

Right there.
        4x P100

Comment

• Glockpride
          Warrior
          • Sep 2018

Comment

• Twitch24
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2014

I sent a PM to DNS about a week ago asking him the same question regarding the 90 grain TNT and the use on deer. Thanks DNS for the informative response. I was in WV at deer camp this past week. My plan is to work up a load using the 90 gr. TNT as a winter time project. At this point I am on the boarder line to use on deer. I am currently using the 123 gr. SST which does work great on deer. The gun is a 22 inch MGM (1in 9) on a Contender G2 frame. My son wants to use the Grendel to hunt deer and my assumption is the 90 grainier would be lass recoil the the 123 gr. I found a stash of 100 gr. Barnes TT shock this morning. I guess I will be working with two bullets this winter. Thanks to all for the info. on this site. Twitch24

Comment

• dammitman
              Warrior
              • Dec 2012

thats right,,,,accurate neck shots just work,,,,,

Comment

• knitepoet
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2020

Another neck shooter. As such, I PREFER a rapidly expanding bullet. I still have a stash of 123 AMax and they work fine. Even took a nice 7pt with a chest shot with one from my custom Rem 799, #1 contour Shilen 1:9"
                20151124_173517 resized.jpg
                He was quartering away at the shot, hence the entry would being so far back

ETA: He was ~75 yards and was a DRT

Also the rifle has been slightly modified since this pic. It's been threaded and wears a YHM compact muzzle brake, full time, and a YHM can for sighting in and hunting.
                Last edited by knitepoet; 11-29-2022, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X