• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Billinthedesert
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2018

Very small data point

Taking the new CVA Scout 2 pistol in 6.5 Grendel to the range again along with some other firearms, I wanted to try a couple of loads from the Sierra Manual for the 107-grain TMK.
    I am suffering from a powder shortage at my house, and the only ones I had on Sierra's page for this bullet were H4895 and H4198.
    I loaded 10 rounds of:
    Nosler case, CCI 400 primer, 24.0 grains H 4198, Sierra 107 TMK loaded to COAL 2.260.
    Two five-shot groups gave me less than an inch of horizontal dispersion in 10-15 mph wind directly from my left, but the first target strung vertically four inches and second two inches.
    I think part of this was my fault for having an inconsistent rest and too large a bull on the target for the Burris 2-7 at 5X -- five inches, NRA 25-yard slow-fire pistol target, as these are what I had on hand.
    But I suspect the pistol just doesn't like something about this load. I had gotten much smaller, rounder groups -- 1 3/8 or so -- with PPU 110-grain FMJ factory loads -- on a previous range visit.
    The other 10 loads were the same except 24.5 grains of H 4198. The maximum Sierra load was 24.8 grains in Hornady brass with a Winchester WSR primer.
    The first shot struck lower but in the same vertical plane, but the pistol took an effort to open and the primer was cratered so I stopped there. No more of those loads for this pistol.
    I normally start well below a listed maximum load, especially with components that differ from the ones used to establish the published data, so I had the pressure signs coming. One reason I started near the top end was that the Sierra data did not specify bolt gun vs AR pressure ceilings the way Hornady has released two data sets for the 6mmARC -- AR data to 52,000 psi and bolt data to 62,000.
    Sierra developed the Grendel data with a CZ 527. Why would I assume the CVS Scout could take the higher pressure ceiling? Because it is also offered in .243 Winchester.
    Anyway, I engaged in a whole lot of extrapolating and second guessing, partly based on more than 50 years of handloading. I shouldn't have.
    Now, one cratered primer isn't the end of the world, but I have generally been conservative with loads over the years; it seems one is never too old for a lesson.
    Last edited by Billinthedesert; 11-12-2022, 12:11 PM.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

Well Stated!!
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Billinthedesert
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2018

I'll look at loading to a longer COAL; no sense limiting the Scout to AR specs, as you note.

Comment

Working...
        X