• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

Case head separation

I've never seen a photo of a basic mid body case head separation with 6.5 Grendel brass
    Last edited by lazyengineer; 09-24-2022, 08:13 PM. Reason: clarified question.
    4x P100
  • sundowner
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2017

Don't know is this will help .20200522_192233.jpg

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

I've had 1 or 2, and seen more on this and other forums. Note the circumferential behavior, at the particular spot above the case head area.
      I've also had a couple separations in the neck/shoulder area.
      Not all that many, given the loads, rifles, brass, etc etc etc that I've shot. Other shooters have certainly shot more, but I have a few rounds under my belt.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

I had that happen with Hornady brass in a very mild 243 LBC load.

Edit: I'll add that when mine happened, I only know because the next round wouldn't chamber. The shot went near where it was supposed to and the rifle ejected the case head into my brass catcher. Did a little bit of head scratching and then took it apart to look into the chamber and could see the front portion of the case in the chamber, so pressure was contained. I wasn't sure what had happened until I found the case head in the catcher.
        Last edited by StoneHendge; 09-24-2022, 11:34 PM.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

I've had two case separations in 223: Both on the same day and caused by too much headspace; both roughly in the middle of the case.

Comment

Working...
          X