140 gr 20 in barrel Most accurate powder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomketchum
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2022

140 gr 20 in barrel Most accurate powder?

Most accurate powder to push a 140 gr projectile?

Starting and max powder in grains would be nice too.

I want to reload this round.

I have like 120 rounds for it so far. Hornaday black I got for like 1.25 a shot.

I would also like to know what are the most accurate projectiles and the best brass.

Maybe mention something about the primers too. Thanks.
  • tomketchum
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2022

I have a brass catcher installed to collect the brass that is shot.

Comment

• tomketchum
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2022

My goal is to probably have eventually 2000 rounds worth of match ammunition.

I have a cheap 20 inch stainless steel barrel on it right now, and it would be nice to know the most accurate barrel.
      Someone who already put in most of the work with a specific setup would be cool.
      (AR15)
      Last edited by tomketchum; 09-21-2022, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
        Chieftain
        • May 2020

Look up Mel's threads about the 135gr ATip. He tests 140s in them.

I run 130s berger ar-otm using leverevolution in a ar platform. Sub .5moa, great speed, hard hitting. I use a 22" criterion and 28" krieger. Both are stupid accurate, but the krieger is easier to load for it seems. I get the velocity I'm looking for without too insane sounding powder charges.

Comment

• NDSwede
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2022

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• tomketchum
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2022

I like that three people replied, thank you. If there are any more it would be appreciated too.

Comment

• mel
                Chieftain
                • Nov 2019

plain and simple ull want a ball powder not a stick powder 130, and 140's seat deep into the case , if its a ar platform gun ull want some asc steel 10 or 15rd mags so u can load out to 2.290 or 2.300 as stated earlier
                alliant power pro varmint or power pro 2000-mr are my gotos for heavy bullet powders , i have some lever here to do some testing with just need the time , but lever should be comparable to power pro varmint.

2000 mr lacks velocity at lower charge wieghts and likes to be at the upper end of the load data

run the balistics calcs on 130 135 and 140g bullets for the ranges u want to shoot in certian situations the lighter bullets may be a better choice then the 140's or vise versa
                in my testing 135g a-tips were the most all around bullet choice although also the most expsensive to load

on a side note 130 rdfs are very picky some rifles like them others wont shoot worth a damn with them no matter what
                Last edited by mel; 09-25-2022, 05:26 AM.

Comment

• Fess
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2019

Tom, you might already know this, but the tiny differences from one rifle to another have an impact on what bullet-case-primer-powder-seating_depth will work. That's why the best you will get will be "My rifle prefers..."

Although you specified 140 grain bullets, the one bullet that seems to provide the most consistent accuracy with the 6.5 Grendel is the 120 grain Sierra Match King. Several of the most experienced Grendel shooters on this site have stated that if it won't shoot that bullet accurately, it is unlikely to shoot anything accurately. Over the years this has become the defacto test to see if a barrel is worth keeping. Hopefully you will have good enough luck with 140's that you won't need to perform this test, though.

Comment

Working...
                  X