120gn speer gold dot oal

• Harpoon1
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2017

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

You know, that thing "won't fit"... sometimes it is the shoulder, from one chamber to the next the actual shoulder length can differ. I had that issue in going from one rifle brand to another, bolt would not close on the round. solved it by re-sizing the brass down a couple more thou's.
      Course you'd have to break down those loads all the way but you might check that.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• 603 Country
        Warrior
        • Apr 2022

Comment

• kiwi shooter
          Warrior
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
          You know, that thing "won't fit"... sometimes it is the shoulder, from one chamber to the next the actual shoulder length can differ. I had that issue in going from one rifle brand to another, bolt would not close on the round. solved it by re-sizing the brass down a couple more thou's.
          Course you'd have to break down those loads all the way but you might check that.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

Hope that was a typo... it might only take 2 thou (.002), do you have a case length gauge... measure a successfully fired case for shoulder datum then down 2-4 thou is your typical resizing setting. I do 4-5 b/c I have more than one and wanted 1 setting for all. I had one with a really long chamber but got rid of it, too much case stretch for my taste.

Comment

• kiwi shooter
              Warrior
              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
              Hope that was a typo... it might only take 2 thou (.002), do you have a case length gauge... measure a successfully fired case for shoulder datum then down 2-4 thou is your typical resizing setting. I do 4-5 b/c I have more than one and wanted 1 setting for all. I had one with a really long chamber but got rid of it, too much case stretch for my taste.

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

Ok, that makes sense...
                I looked up my howa data, I didn't shoot a lot of the gold dots (BC 0.457) but do have 1 line item in my data for them, I used 2.280" for an OAL.
                I haven't loaded them since then (~ 2yrs ago) b/c they are OOS and I don't have a lot of them on hand.

Comment

• myrifle
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2015

I dont have my load books handy.

But with the howa I had and my 3 cz grendels. The 120 gold dot nearly falls out the modified case before it hits the lands.

If your throat and mag allows the 120 gold dot to run a length of 2.330 ish max. Varget is the money maker powder. I'm talking ridiculously low sd/es numbers and speeds faster then cfe223 and leverevolution can make.

Comment

Working...
                  X