• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Redraider
    Warrior
    • May 2012

who's getting it

Hi all,

I just read the two announcements of primers for sale here. I also noticed also that they are at least TWICE the price that they should be. I am happy I don't need any, but I'm sure I will in the future! Although I do understand the concept of supply and demand, I have to wonder if the costs to manufacture are double, is there any step in the distribution now that wasn't there a couple of years ago that is double cost, are the wholesalers and/or the retailers doubling the price to line their pockets? I feel this is not a healthy practice of capitalism, but mainly, just wonder, who's getting it?

I will continue to refuse to buy under these conditions!

Just my $0.04

Redraider
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
    Hi all,

I just read the two announcements of primers for sale here. I also noticed also that they are at least TWICE the price that they should be. I am happy I don't need any, but I'm sure I will in the future! Although I do understand the concept of supply and demand, I have to wonder if the costs to manufacture are double, is there any step in the distribution now that wasn't there a couple of years ago that is double cost, are the wholesalers and/or the retailers doubling the price to line their pockets? I feel this is not a healthy practice of capitalism, but mainly, just wonder, who's getting it?

Just my $0.04

Redraider
    raw materials costs are up over 30%. labor shortages have increased manufacturing costs using thise materials
    distribution costs have shot way up, almost double.

i would say its an easy 50% if not more increase in some prices
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Kosh65
      Warrior
      • Jan 2021

50% yes. But not the 200~300% more that they are charging.

Comment

• mdram
        Warrior
        • Sep 2016

just checked, coper was @ 16 cents/lb in 2018, close to 30 now
        so my numbers were a bit low
        just some targets for printing
        https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• tdbru
          Warrior
          • Dec 2019

part of it too is a monopoly. When Remington went bankrupt, Vista Outdoors bought the ammo division. So Vista Outdoors owns (primer makers) CCI, Remington, Federal. Olin owns Winchester. So it went from 3 competitors down to two competitors. VO is recording record profits right now. they're buying back stock and paying off debt. this is not all of it but a big part of it. I notice the FTC said nary a word about VO acquiring Rem ammo and creating a monopoly. obviously sporting goods consumers don't count as consumers. yes material cost has gone up, and with lots of people out for covid, manufacturing output is down, but part of the cost is VO can set the price they want right now and there's only 1 competitor they have to be concerned about.
          -tdbru

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
            Warrior
            • Nov 2018

Hi all,

Just my $0.04

Redraider
            dba5eb24ac2b480ba399fa867b86db01.jpg

1) Where have you been, to just now ask?

2) How have you not already read someone else post this 10 to 15 times?

3) Not mad, just curious.

Answer: "They" raise prices because people used software to buy up everything to resell it. At some price it is no longer worth doing. That price is $75/1000 limit one or 2, and $85/1000 limit 5.

Comment

• Mark611
              Warrior
              • Feb 2017

I will admit primers are way over priced right now! unfortunately the only place I have been able to purchase any small rifle primers is Brownell's, nothing local! CCI#41's from Brownell's are $104 dollars a thousand, with a limit of 2k pre order, plus hasmat and tax and shipping fees! so for me it's about $ 257 THD, for 2k and this is just ridiculous for primers!!!!! but some of the powder I have been able to get like TAC and AA 2520 are around $32 dollars a pound, local pick up, The small rifle primers were my only lacking component for my AR type rifles, so I purchased 10k primers over the past 3mon's, I did not want to pay these prices nor does anyone else but it is what it is! I'd rather have them then not! and no I'm not planning to just run thru them, I will use them when necessary! I have built a few new rifles in 223wylde and a new 6.5grr, which is why I spent the money on the primers and added the extra powder for these rifles, it is still IMO cheaper to reload for these rifles and build more accurate ammo then it is to buy factory ammo IMO at today's prices! YMMV

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

#41's cost more than cci450's most times even on Brownells, do the 450's and save some $$, just as good or even better.

There has been some fluctuation in price/brick lately, from ~$70-100/1k, and hazmat costs have varied as well.
                "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• BowChamp
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2016

Hi all,

Just my $0.04

Redraider
                  How do you think the $20.00 minimum wage is going work for you and your "I will continue to refuse to buy under these conditions!"

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BowChamp View Post
                    How do you think the $20.00 minimum wage is going work for you and your "I will continue to refuse to buy under these conditions!"
                    BC:

Ease up. If he doesn't want to buy primers, there are more available for those who will pay the prices.

LR-55

Comment

• Redraider
                      Warrior
                      • May 2012

WOW!!!!!!!!! What a neat place to express MY opinion! This used to be a pretty decent and civil site...............I guess it has gone the route of modern politics. Which I hope we all can agree.

Thanks for your thoughtful responses.

I'm out.

Redraider

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

WOW!!!!!!!!! What a neat place to express MY opinion! This used to be a pretty decent and civil site...............I guess it has gone the route of modern politics. Which I hope we all can agree.

I'm out.

Redraider
                        RR:

This still is a civil site.

You expressed your opinion and guys responded. Their responses were civil and when I thought it was heading down the wrong path, I intervened. Pretty normal when things start to stray.

Not sure what you expected but I guess it wasn't so if you want to leave the Forum, you need to ask BFT.

LR-55

Comment

• BowChamp
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2016

I'm out.

Redraider
                          You are very welcome.

Comment

• Klem
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

RR,

I get that you are frustrated many companies are making hay while the sun shines, right now.

Even without the Pandemic don't forget brand equity. The $150 Nike shoes without the logo is worth what? The difference is brand equity and is basically nothing. Same with Magpul, LaRue, Noveske and many more. How much extra do you think they add on top of cost that adds absolutely nothing to its functionality - as much as the market will bear.

Unregulated markets are the hallmark of democracy.

Comment

• LR1955
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2011

I guess this one has played itself out.

Comment

Working...
                              X