• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pashiner
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2019

starting load for BLC-2 and the hornady 140 bthp

With ammo and component availability what it is lately, I came across a good deal on some hornady 140gn bthp bullets (the shortest lightest 6.5s I can find in stock locally) , and bought them for plinking loads. after much forum searching, I think the most suitable powder I have is blc-2.
    can anyone recommend a starting load that I can work from?

It looks like some folks are using it with bullets in the 130gn range with charge weights around 28-29 grains and getting decent results, but there seems to be no published load data for this particular combination.
    I think BLC-2 is a reasonable enough enough powder in terms of density and burn rate, but I dont have any load development software to work with.
    I'm not chasing huge velocity, just ringing steel inside 300yds.
    I'd like to start safely below max charge and work up until I find a load my barrel likes, but avoid starting wastefully low.

thanks in advance for any advice/ideas
  • Sinclair
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

Originally posted by pashiner View Post

It looks like some folks are using it with bullets in the 130gn range with charge weights around 28-29 grains and getting decent results, but there seems to be no published load data for this particular combination.
    I think BLC-2 is a reasonable enough enough powder in terms of density and burn rate, but I dont have any load development software to work with.
    I'm not chasing huge velocity, just ringing steel inside 300yds.
    I'd like to start safely below max charge and work up until I find a load my barrel likes, but avoid starting wastefully low.

thanks in advance for any advice/ideas
    Sorry pashiner, not to high jack your thread, but I have been wanting to ask your question for several months.

I find my self in the same situation. A pound of BL-(2) and 500 rounds of Norma 130 gr Golden Target bullets and no good data. As in the OP's comments I an interested in accuracy first. My main issue is in that I live in west central Illinois with its 60 - 80 degree temp swings, sometimes daily.
    Last edited by Sinclair; 01-21-2022, 12:46 AM. Reason: dang auto spell correction
    "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
    Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
    Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• 65GbySeven
      Warrior
      • Dec 2018

Not sure if you're using a bolt or gas gun but with a gas you may want to single feed them to extend your COL provided you can measure for it. I used BLC2 with 129 Hornady Interlocks with no pressure signs up to 29.2GR, but that bullet is a full quarter inch shorter. 1.180 vs. 1.420.

Personally I would start at 26.0 and go up .2GR.

Curious how this turns out.

Comment

• Sinclair
        Warrior
        • Feb 2018

Bolt, a CZ 527 Varmint with 25.6 inch barrel. The OP mentioned ringing steel at 300 yds, I mainly shoot paper at 100 - 300 yds in what we call a tight group league where the 10 shot group's size is the most important as long as the group is "on paper".
        Last edited by Sinclair; 01-21-2022, 01:54 AM.
        "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
        Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
        Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• 65GbySeven
          Warrior
          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Sinclair View Post
          Bolt, a CZ 527 Varmint with 25.6 inch barrel. The OP mentioned ringing steel at 300 yds, I mainly shoot paper at 100 - 300 yds in what we call a tight group league where the 10 shot group's size is the most important as long as the group is "on paper".
          Would be fun experiment with a bolt Grendel. I have gas Grendels but have the "wants" really bad for a CZ MTR.

Comment

• pashiner
            Unwashed
            • Mar 2019

ahhh...forgot the gun info! I'm running a 24" 8 twist barrel with a grendel II chamber on an AR with std mil-spec spring and buffer, rifle length gas, and just a flash hider, no brake or suppressor or anything. factory ammo seems a touch over-gassed in this gun, but not bad enough that I feel the need to dial it back. I run the same lower on multiple different caliber uppers, so my intention is to tailor the loads to the gun, which will hopefully result in finding an accuracy node that cycles the action smoothly.

I'm glad others are curious about this as well!

I believe I can go a little bit beyond 2.260 oal. I'm using 10rnd stainless steel c-products mags, which seem to have rather generous interior dimensions, so I may experiment with creeping up on 2.27-2.28 oal if I don't get satisfactory performance at a normal seating depth.

please keep in mind, this rifle is just a "giggle gun"...not for serious use, competition or big game hunting, so if I leave 100fps on the table...meh?

Comment

• Cal
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2019

Pashiner,

I just ordered some 123 grn Scenar's OTM's at Midsouth Shooters Supply

Just getting into reloading for my Gren, was able to pick up some Hornady 123 SST's at my local Academy a couple of weeks ago also. Getting ready to start load search.

ETC: I'm an idiot. The 123grn pills are Lapua Scenar (SP?). Sorry for the misinformation.
              Last edited by Cal; 01-23-2022, 02:12 PM. Reason: ETA

Comment

• pashiner
                Unwashed
                • Mar 2019

there's tons of load data for those 123s! that's actually my favorite bullet weight in the Grendel, especially with BLC-2. lots of suitable powders, and my barrel likes them much better than the lighter stuff. I thought I'd explore the heavier weights, and you know how gun-store logic goes...well, this is what's available NOW, they're cheap and I'd like to load something tonight...only to get home and find exactly zero published load data for any of the powders I've got. I could go spend some more money on a pound of AA2520 or AR COMP or VV540, which there is some 140gn data for, but where's the fun in that?

I guess I'll work up from 26 grains real slow, and see how the brass looks. I have to drive an hour to the nearest range, so without an approximate max load to stay below, I predict I'll be pulling some bullets this weekend if I make my ladder too tall!

It sure would be nice to have a range at home so I could load one or two of each charge weight, shoot 'em and see where my pressure signs start.

I figure if i load 5 each in .2 increments from 26 through 27 grains, I'll have enough for groups and the pressure data I need. I guess I'll just have to bring another gun to make the drive worthwhile

Comment

• Cal
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jul 2019

I know Johnny's Reloading Bench on the Tube of Yous has done some 140grn workups. Not sure what powders he's used though.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-21-2022, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• Cal
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jul 2019

Hey Vas,
                      Does the "C" represent a compressed load?

Comment

• pashiner
                        Unwashed
                        • Mar 2019

Thanks guys, that's exactly the kind of help I need! I saw the Johnny's reloading bench video last night while searching for info, and he's tried everything BUT BLC-2 LOL!
                        I like the w748 load data idea, looks like I'm in the ballpark with a 26gn starting load, but that 28.6 max seems high to me...maybe because of the flat base bullet. I was also told somewhere, sometime that BLC-2 is basically cfe223 without the anti-fouling additive. load data seems to bear this out in the 120 gn range. I can't find any heavier bullet loads for cfe223 though. It seems like BLC-2 is regarded as a somewhat forgiving powder in this cartridge, which would make sense that it was one of the earlier powders to appear in load manuals for the Grendel.

There was a can of w748 on the shelf at the gun store when I bought those Hornady 140s. I even looked at it for a second and stopped myself because "I already have powder for that gun"

good times.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Cal View Post
                          Hey Vas,
                          Does the "C" represent a compressed load?

Comment

• StoneHendge
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2016

OP, I'd be very interested to see where you end up on the low end and if there's accuracy. I've been contemplating trying to load 140s around 2k fps in order to try and train myself to pick up trace with lob shots out to 500 or so. The Berger twist calculator says that will work fine with the Hornady's.
                            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                            X