• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Velocity
    Warrior
    • Mar 2021

Shoulder Bump Gauge Question

A few months back I purchased a Whidden Gunworks Shoulder Bump Gauge .350 which is aluminum.
    Last week I purchased a Sinclair Shoulder Bump Gage 30A which is steel, I prefer steel over aluminum for gages just my preference.

My question is why do I get two different readings, I thought the target for a bump gage was the .350" diameter on the shoulder.
    When I measure a new Lapua case with the Whidden Gunworks Shoulder Bump Gauge .350 I get a reading of 1.190" to base
    and with the Sinclair Shoulder Bump Gage 30A I get 1.127". That's .063" difference between the gages and looking at the
    SAMMI 6.5 Grendel drawing it shows the shoulder length of 1.220 -7.

What am I missing here?
  • Harpoon1
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Velocity View Post
    A few months back I purchased a Whidden Gunworks Shoulder Bump Gauge .350 which is aluminum.
    Last week I purchased a Sinclair Shoulder Bump Gage 30A which is steel, I prefer steel over aluminum for gages just my preference.

My question is why do I get two different readings, I thought the target for a bump gage was the .350" diameter on the shoulder.
    When I measure a new Lapua case with the Whidden Gunworks Shoulder Bump Gauge .350 I get a reading of 1.190" to base
    and with the Sinclair Shoulder Bump Gage 30A I get 1.127". That's .063" difference between the gages and looking at the
    SAMMI 6.5 Grendel drawing it shows the shoulder length of 1.220 -7.

What am I missing here?
    Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-11-2022, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• Velocity
      Warrior
      • Mar 2021

Harpoon1

That does clear up the muddy water between the two gauges and the SAMMI spec.

Thanks a lot.

Comment

• Harpoon1
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2017

Harpoon1

That does clear up the muddy water between the two gauges and the SAMMI spec.

Thanks a lot.
        C069FF59-D08B-4C0B-9BF1-27085670C3DE.jpeg
        Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-12-2022, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• Dt219
          Warrior
          • Nov 2020

Harpoon is right on the money with his assessment

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Velocity
              Warrior
              • Mar 2021

Harpoon1

I think I'll keep using the Whidden Gauge and put some oil on the Sinclair and plastic bag it.
              Then again I may just put the Sinclair in the lathe and remove some of that deep champer from the face to match the Whidden Gauge.

Comment

• TR1Hemi
                Unwashed
                • Jan 2019

The actual numbers are irrelevant. Measure your fired brass, adjust sizer using the same gauge, to achieve desired bump, usually .002-.003. The gauges are for getting a reference point. If you had a non adjustable bathroom scale that you knew read 5 lbs off, it does not matter over the long haul. 200lb one month v 210lb the next month guess what you gained 10 pounds regardless.

Straight from Sinclair "Rather than measuring to the datum line, these gauges indicate off of the shoulder of the case to get a better, more easily assessable measurement of how much you are actually sizing your cases."

One type of gauge uses a specific diameter of hole like Hornady, .330/.350/.375/.400, then Sinclair that just matches the shoulder angle regardless of diameter.

Oh and here is a HUGE BTW! When you measure your brass from your chamber make sure it was a mild load. Brass flow at the ejector hole or extractor cut or a cratered primer will TOTALLY jack your readings! Especially cratered primers, they will add 3-5 thou, you adjust for 4 thou bump, and you actually end up with zero bump. Because you are now measuring a primerless case.

Comment

• Kosh65
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2021

I always measure after the decapping with a universal decapping die.

Comment

• TR1Hemi
                    Unwashed
                    • Jan 2019

Perfectly acceptable, I also do not use the "anvil" that hornady sells with it's kit, not using it allows me to get caliper between the ejector and extractor flows.

Comment

• Velocity
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2021

Originally posted by TR1Hemi View Post
                      Perfectly acceptable, I also do not use the "anvil" that hornady sells with it's kit, not using it allows me to get caliper between the ejector and extractor flows.
                      TR1
                      Can you explain what you mean in the last part of your post "get caliper between the ejector and extractor flows".
                      And are you saying that the Sinclair Gauge will be more accurate because it uses the shoulder angle?

Comment

• BowChamp
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2016

To me gauges are a reference, neither more accurate than the other. Sometimes one may be easier to use than the other. Just make sure you don't change a tool part during your sizing session and .002 will be .002.

I can see where cratered primers and such would give an inaccurate reading. This is what happens when something is changed.

Comment

• mtnlvr
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2019

TR1
                          Can you explain what you mean in the last part of your post "get caliper between the ejector and extractor flows".
                          And are you saying that the Sinclair Gauge will be more accurate because it uses the shoulder angle?
                          I would say that the Sinclair gauge would hold its size better since it's indexing on a chamfer. That larger bearing surface will hold up longer than the edge of a hole. Not that it going to wear fast, but I suppose if you measure a lot of steel and are constantly rotating the case 5o get it to settle, we can occur. So with the Sinclair, it has a better chance of measure a headspace gauge over time without drifting.

Comment

• Velocity
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2021

Thanks everyone, Sinclair it is.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2017

Thanks everyone, Sinclair it is.

Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-22-2022, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X