90gr TNT & 8208XBR - Why the Disconnect with Load Manual???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oso Polaris
    Warrior
    • Apr 2019

90gr TNT & 8208XBR - Why the Disconnect with Load Manual???

I've got a fair supply of 8208 XBR so I decided to try out this powder for the 90gr TNT's, and save the faster powders for my heavier bullets. I used a Chargemaster to throw the powder, Hornady brass (1x fired), and CCI #450. My COAL was 2,200", which basically seats the base of bullet 2/3rd way into length of neck. Right around 31gr of powder the case is what I would normally call approaching 100% fill (powder at base of shoulder/neck junction), but there is room to drop a little more with the 1/3 empty neck space behind the bullet. I loaded a wider range for powder charges than what I needed, but I wanted to have the data points & group potential for comparison when shooting at different temps/velocities. Ideally, 8208 XBR is temp stable....always good to independently confirm how it looks at 35F-40F (worst coldest days of winter)... still a 60F swing.

Howa Mini 20" Heavy Barrel in B&C Stock. 3-shot groups at 100 yards in 95F heat. I removed the TB9 suppressor between groups and used a Chamber Chiller to cool down barrel to barely warmer than the "Feels Like 110F" (usually 10-15 minutes). The barrel on this rifle is what I would call a heavy sporter and heats up much quicker than my other rifles. I came to realize that if I don't remove the suppressor while using the Chamber Chiller it becomes a heat sump as all of heat in barrel is blown into/through the suppressor... barrel is cool and suppressor is still super hot. Barrel cools off much faster with it off and suppressor cools off in same time just siting on the bench.

29.3 gr chrono 2640 n / a 2637 2639 *used as foulers (clean barrel shots)
    29.6 gr chrono 2660 2642 2657 2653 *used as foulers (clean barrel shots)
    29.9 gr chrono 2726 n / a 2753 2740
    30.2 gr chrono 2730 2734 2731 2732 *Best Group
    30.5 gr chrono 2744 2813 2760 2772
    30.8 gr chrono 2807 2805 2826 2813
    31.1 gr chrono 2843 2822 2823 2829 * faintest indication of Ejector Swipe, no pressure signs on primers.
    31.4 gr chrono 2837 2857 2851 2848 * faintest indication of Ejector Swipe & stiffer Bolt Lift (not massive and nowhere near Bolt Click), no pressure signs on primers.

n/a - human error. I forgot to re-arm Labradar between shots.
    Last edited by Oso Polaris; 08-31-2021, 11:16 PM.
  • Oso Polaris
    Warrior
    • Apr 2019

I have seen/read the older thread detailing the disconnect between Speer's reloading data of 31.7 max (compressed load) achieving 3,013 fps.

Like everyone else, I am not seeing this top-end velocity. Even at their min charge of 28.5gr they are stating 2,701... with my loads I didn't reach this velocity until an additional 1.2gr-1.5gr of powder.

Their data just seems a little off... seldom do you see the load manual perform more aggressively...

I guess the answer is right there on their datasheet - 24" barrel and I am guess also a firm crimp.
    Last edited by Oso Polaris; 08-31-2021, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• Oso Polaris
      Warrior
      • Apr 2019

Here are my shooting results. The first two sets (boxes) in top left were shot as foulers while I was doing load testing for 123gr SST. There are some good group indicators over a fairly wide range of charge weights. As with my experience with 300BO, the TNT bullet is extremely forgiving and easy to load.

The inconsistency of the groups is predominantly me having issues with consistent stock interface and ability to stay locked in position. Between the small footprint of the B&C stock and my size, it is not ideal for shooting prone... marginal contact between the toe of the stock and upper portion of my shoulder. If I were planning to use this rifle more at the range I would seriously consider adding an articulating adjustable butt plate that I can both lower and twist on angle to better fit my shoulder.

As mentioned in another current thread on Labradar... I am constantly dealing with the distraction of clearing "false trigger notices" from kinetic trigger on Labradar where it is capturing each time I cycle the bolt. I have been rolling on and off the rifle to reach and clear each of the false alerts resulting in bad/inconsistent form... all of the pulls. KLEM has advised me I can just ignore the false messages and keep shooting!!!

6.5 Grendel - 90gr Speer TNT and 8208 XBR (Aug 30, 2021) resized.jpg

Note: I placed a black dot inside the red square to solidify a focus point since the red color really blurs with the heat mirage.
      Last edited by Oso Polaris; 08-31-2021, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

Your results a pretty much in line with Hodgdon's data for the 90 gr TNT and XBR. Actually running a tad faster.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Oso Polaris
          Warrior
          • Apr 2019

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
          Your results a pretty much in line with Hodgdon's data for the 90 gr TNT and XBR. Actually running a tad faster.
          Thanks for the heads-up. Normally, I start a load development by viewing the Powder Manufacturer's load data. I must have jumped straight to my recently delivered "6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook V2" and Speers load data center.
          Last edited by Oso Polaris; 09-01-2021, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X