• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Velocity
    Warrior
    • Mar 2021

Seating Depth Wrong

This question is not about my Grendel but my 1911 - 45 ACP.

I set up my press to load 45 ACP's and my seating measurement were correct and placing one or two in my magazine everything seemed ok.

I loaded the 500 cases with all the Hornady Hollow Points I had and then I was loading all my magazines and to my surprise they were sticking
    from the 4-5th case down. This was happening in all magazines from OEM and Mec-Car, there was no problem with factory FMJ round nose.

My question is has anyone had a problem going back and reseating bullets deeper? They are not loaded hot and I believe .020 to .050 is all that's needed.

Thanks
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

If it is not a max load, just that much I would not expect a problem. You might feel more resistance than seating normally since the taper crimp has been done already.

That is my opine, I would also try a couple mags worth before going all in.

Comment

• Velocity
      Warrior
      • Mar 2021

Ok, the 500 are done and work flawlessly even when ejecting from my gun using all mags.

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Velocity View Post
        Ok, the 500 are done and work flawlessly even when ejecting from my gun using all mags.
        Vel:

I have dummy rounds for my pistols and revolvers that I made using empty cases. I always check that my reloading dies are tight and if I use any that have a seating stem, that the stem is also tight. Then I load seven and put them into a magazine to make sure they have some clearance from the front of the mag. If all fit OK then I put the mag into the pistol and with it pointed into a clearing barrel I will release the slide and pull it back by hand. If all extract and eject without any hassle, I go for it.

I found out years ago that if I rely on a dummy round I made to set my seating die, that I end up having to turn the die down a little. The dummy rounds get you almost there but not quite. I also don't push the envelop on seating depth. I want the ammo to move very freely into and out of the magazine and in and out of battery.

I go through this procedure every time I load for pistols and even revolvers. Bet you will never guess why? He, he.

LR55

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

Glad you have it going.

55, I completely understand how knowledge and procedures like that happen.

Comment

Working...
          X