X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rick2001
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2021

I think I have finally found two loads that my rifle likes.... it is worth noting how both the 30.2 BL-C2 and the 26.0 H335 POI are the same....

Comment

• Huckleberry75
      Warrior
      • Jun 2018

BlC2 load looks pretty dang salty. Any idea on speed?

Comment

• Rick2001
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2021

nope unfortunately... I don't have any chronograph yet.... I am using a 20" bartlein. I may be around 2450FPS but don't know for sure

Comment

• fmyellowj
          Unwashed
          • Jan 2021

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
          120 gold dot
          H322 powder

Check the jump in your barrel and if it allows seat it at 2.290 work up in 2 tenth increases from 27 grains till you find a load with a average speed your happy with and has tight sd/es numbers.

Then adjust seating depth by 5 thousands at a time to get the group size you want.

Your going to need a chronograph and the tools to measure your jump to lands if you dont already have them.
          I'm pretty new at reloading myself. The process you're suggesting is to dial in SD/ES first and work on group size after? I guess I should cave in and buy a chronograph.

Comment

• Rick2001
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2021

[QUOTE=Huckleberry75;289505]BlC2 load looks pretty dang salty. Any idea on speed?[/QUOTE

2283 fps on average]

Comment

• Rick2001
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2021

Originally posted by Huckleberry75 View Post
              BlC2 load looks pretty dang salty. Any idea on speed?
              [QUOTE=Rick2001;289822]
              Originally posted by Huckleberry75 View Post
              BlC2 load looks pretty dang salty. Any idea on speed?[/QUOTE

2283 fps on average]

Comment

• Rick2001
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2021

Hi all, I think I need help. I just got the Magnetospeed to check the best BL-C2 load I have developed so far and to say that I was surprised to see my ES and SD is an understatement... they are terrible, and the worst thing is that I don't know what caused this inconsistency in my reload process and how to fix it....
                Please take a look and let me know what you think...

To reload I usually use once fired brass, Winchester small rifle primers, and a Hornady Lock and load auto charge. I clean, resize the brass with Lee dies, debur/chamfer, wash them in ultrasonic machine and once dry I reload... I think I am pretty much accurate with the powder but there must be something I do wrong.

Thanks

Comment

• tdbru
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2019

do you know how repeatable the magnetospeed is? Could the variation be coming from the measuring tool itself? I do not own a magnetospeed so I am not familiar with the tools repeatability. I am not familiar with the HLNL auto charge, I presume each charge was weighed. One thing long range shooters do to reduce the S/D and ES is to anneal the case necks to try and achieve uniform neck tension. I assume all the brass is the same brand and lot? Did you use once fired cases? You said "usually" but are you sure all the cases in this string were once fired? Have you tried varying seating depth? I've not been fond of LEE dies, but that may be just my biases. How fast was the string fired? Was the barrel temperature significantly different from start to finish? Some powders change burn rate speed faster with temperature change than other powders do. Recently many of the powder companies have come out with "temperature insensitive" powders. If I recall, CFE223, BLC2, and most ball powders have higher tempco's than many extruded powders. StaBALL 6.5 is Winchester Powders' latest entry into the temperature insensitive copper fouling inhibited field. I believe the first ball powder I've heard that has the focus. There may be others. Point is BLC2 burn rate changes with temperature, did you try and space out the shots to keep the barrel temp fairly cool?

With the bullet weights you're using, you might consider giving H4895 a try if you can find some. It has a pretty low tempco. And the burn rate isn't too slow for that bullet weight in the 6.5 Grendel. I'm using BENCHMARK with lighter bullets and H4895 with the bullet weights that you are using, mainly, like you, because I happen to have it at the moment.

if you're not shooting very long ranges, the variation in MV will likely not be a big deal. Since you're grouping pretty well at 100 yards, and if you're not shooting past 300 yards, it may not matter that the SD is higher than you would like.

good luck,
                  -tdbru

Comment

• tdbru
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2019

i just went and re-read what you started with -> "mixed brass". try sorting by headstamp, and re-fire the BLC2 test with brass of the same headstamp.
                    -tdbru

Comment

Working...
                    X