• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rick2001
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2021

AE 120gn load clone

Good morning , can anyone suggest a combination of bullet and powder to get as close as possible to the factory American Eagle 120 ? It seems like AE is the cartridge that my rifle likes the most but right now I can't find it anywhere and when I do the price is crazy... >1.75$ per round. Thanks
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Favorite recommendation by several on here (going from memory, maybe do a search), is 120 gr Sierra MK and 28.0-28.5 of 8208xbr, work up slowly from ~27.0 or so.
    If you don't have the books already, get the Grendel handbooks, vol 1 and 2, from the AR buildbox section of the industry vendors part of this forum.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Rick2001
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2021

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
      Favorite recommendation by several on here (going from memory, maybe do a search), is 120 gr Sierra MK and 28.0-28.5 of 8208xbr, work up slowly from ~27.0 or so.
      If you don't have the books already, get the Grendel handbooks, vol 1 and 2, from the AR buildbox section of the industry vendors part of this forum.
      I will, thank you very much

Comment

• Zeneffect
        Chieftain
        • May 2020

GF nailed it. 120gr smk + xbr is a winning combination.

Given what others shoot, and my own personal experience I'd actually start at 26.4. I saw pressure signs (which means I was over pressure) at 27.8 and the lead was scooting at 2600fps+ I'm unsure if that is a powder lot to lot consistency, my chamber, or combination of both but it's worthwhile starting in the high 26s in my opinion.

If you can find some 120gr smk or have some for sale let me know please. This is by far the best shooting combo in both of my rifles and im out of the pills.
        Last edited by Zeneffect; 06-17-2021, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

120 Match King and 28 - 30 grains of 2520.

XBR gets dodgy when approaching the higher end of load data. I won't go above 28 grains of XBR with a 120.

LR55

Comment

Working...
          X