• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DIANEB
    Warrior
    • Oct 2020

Hornady 130 ELD question?

I have a few hundred 130 ELD bullets and I was wondering if any of you here know a good load to start out with?
    What powder would you recommend?
    I have cci#450 primers and Starline brass.

Thank you in advance...
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

CFE223, Leverevolution for higher velocities or H4895 for good velocities and temp stability.

Comment

• DIANEB
      Warrior
      • Oct 2020

Originally posted by kmon View Post
      CFE223, Leverevolution for higher velocities or H4895 for good velocities and temp stability.
      Thanks, I think I have the H4895...

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

Pretty sure if you use the custom search engine on here you can find several threads with data for H4895 which is a great powder to have on hand especially in times like these of shortages and hard to find components. It is useful in as many or more cartridges as any powder that I can think of from reduced loads in larger calibers to some pretty hot loads in others.

Comment

• tdbru
          Warrior
          • Dec 2019

+1 on H4895. works well with the heavier bullets in the 6.5 Grendel. I think Alliant PPV gives a bit more velocity, but it isn't as temp stable as H4895 in my experience. and as Kmon mentioned CFE223 works well too, has the copper reducing agent in the powder, but again, isn't as temp stable as H4895. and right now, you just might have to use what one happens to have on hand, since running to the sporting goods store to pick up an assortment for ladder testing is only on the hope/dream list right now.
          -tdbru

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Diane,

H4895 is arguably the best powder for mid range length barrels with heavy bullets because it is close to case full at max SAAMI peak pressure. It is also a temp stable powder. I use it exclusively for 120gn bullets and above in this calibre and would be first choice for the 130ELD.

According to Quickload my max is 26.4gns H4895 with that bullet and powder at 58mm OAL. 10% below that for a safe start is 23.8gns.

Comment

• kmon
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2015

Nosler data for the Grendel https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/65-grendel/

With the 129gr ABLR and 130gr RDF they show start at 24.5 and max at 26.5gr 101% case fill at 2.260. Of course they use their Nosler brass for data.

Comment

• DIANEB
                Warrior
                • Oct 2020

Thank you all... You guys are awesome...

Comment

• DIANEB
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2020

I'll let you all know how it goes next Thursday...I loaded 10 rounds with the 130 gn ELD 23.8 gn H4895 10 with 24.1 gn and 10 24.4 gn... These re my starting loads...

Thank you all again for being helpful...

Comment

Working...
                  X