• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
    O.K. folks the results are in, I took 5 cases with loose necks and annealed them, full length sized and money, they work great. Thanks for sharing the solution.
    Did the micro cracks go away?
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Lemonaid
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
      Did the micro cracks go away?
      No, after annealing I sized the brass in the previous pics. The semi-crack that I was investigating opened up all the way, the radial artifacts are still there (see next pics.) As I don't have a lot of annealing experience, you will likely get better info from those who do, perhaps on the current annealing thread.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Oso Polaris
        Warrior
        • Apr 2019

That picture on the left looks dodgey. You might do the old "Bell" Test and drop the cases onto the floor to see if you get a Flat Note indicating that the brass has a crack and no longer harmonic like a bell...

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Yeah, but dogdy or not, the left one fails the test IMO. That indication, whether a thru-wall or just deep, is still deep enough to cause a case failure in the next firing.
          All of this talk about annealing has got me thinking..... think I personally like the induction method one myself.
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Oso Polaris
            Warrior
            • Apr 2019

Agreed - I would be tossing that case. Because the next firing it will definitely be a goner.

I have the Annealeez, which is idiot proof and works great for doing volume. I find that I like running batches of 250 - 1000 cases at a time. I can knock out a tub of cases (1000) in an hour. The Induction units look nice, but its is either cost restrictive if buying an AMP ($1500 with all the gear and software) or technical if building a Annie and needing to do programming. I am good with wood and steel. Electricity is the Black Box and Programming is not my natural skill set. That said... I would not turn my nose up if UPS accidentally dropped one off on my porch.

Technology is amazing. I shook my head when my friend dropped $7K fully kitting out a Mark 7 reloading press. I then got a good chuckle after I dumped a tub on Range Brass into it and watched it deprime, swage, resize and case trim 1500 cases in an hour while we just sat and watched.... and he was intentionally running it very slow?!!!! I might start dropping in on him more often... no one turns away a friend who happens to drop by Saturday morning with breakfast tacos...

Comment

• Lemonaid
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2019

I tossed the case, the crack went all the way through. A guy in my area has a business where he charges $10.00 to anneal a hundred cases. I don't think he will have much success with prices like that.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                Chieftain
                • May 2020

He might. A lot if people are flat out lazy and can afford to pay a guy instead of learn a skill, or lack the self confidence to do it themselves without being shown first. We see this across many different disciplines. How are brake jobs a thing?

Comment

• Zeneffect
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2020

Worth watching as well.

Comment

• Oso Polaris
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2019

$0.10 to anneal sounds silly unless he is using an AMP for F-Class/Benchrest quality annealing. I guess by the same measure the Current inflated market price is $0.50-$0.75/case for used rifle brass (cartridges larger than .223/5.56)?!

Comment

• Kosh65
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2021

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
                        Worth watching as well.

https://youtu.be/c5hyTpCzUlg
                        He sure knows how to make a simple thing complicated. I especially liked when his 3d printed cooling tank leaked. Maybe that discarded water bottle is looking good after all. Good on him.

His hollow copper wire cooling idea has me thinking about the hand-held wand settup on the other thread. The way it comes wired from the factory and when a timer is attached is that the fan only runs when the timer is on. So it is constantly switching ON and OFF every few seconds. There will be a way to rewire the timer/wand settup so the fan is constantly ON when the rig is plugged into the wall, but the induction still only comes on when the timer is ON and the button on the wand is pressed.
                        Last edited by Klem; 05-27-2021, 12:15 AM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2016

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
                          I tossed the case, the crack went all the way through. A guy in my area has a business where he charges $10.00 to anneal a hundred cases. I don't think he will have much success with prices like that.
                          Will he toss in a trim, chamfer and debur for another $10.00?
                          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                          X