• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Redraider
    Warrior
    • May 2012

old primers

Hi,

I was going through a box of old bullets and brass(not Grendel), and I ran across 500 old CCI 200 lr primers, and I am talking O-L-D. They were stored dry, but questionable temp swings. Is there any way to test a few of these to see if they are still viable? Would I press them in an empty case and pull the trigger? What should they act/sound like? Any other way?

Thanks

Redraider
  • Dinny
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

Prime 3 cases with new and old primers and fire them off. Check for difference in sound or you can press the barrel down onto a folded rag and compare flash burns. I think they're fine though. Somewhere recently online I read where old military surplus ammo was being broken down and the primers were being sold as reclaimed. There was some sort of testing done to find there wasn't much of a difference if any between them and newer primers.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

I have used CCI 200 primers that I know not what the manufacture date was but they were marked 75 cents for a box of 100 and when I started reloading 44 years ago CCI 200 primers were $1 for 100. Those older primers were in stuff I got from an estate sale. Herters press that was in that purchase was from the 40s. I have also shot old ammo that was from the 20s that shot well. I bet unless moisture got them they are good.

Do a test like Dinny described.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Red

I would do a quick work-up and carry on, but maybe more careful to clean the gun after firing.

Older primers, especially military used chlorates which turned into potassium and sodium chloride (salt) when shot. This attracts moisture and turns into acid. It will eat your barrel and parts if not cleaned off after firing - might take a week or more but you will see it.

It would have to be WWII, Russian AK or up to 1970'-80's type primers for this to happen as nowadays the chemicals have changed and they are much less corrosive.

There is a thing called Secondary Explosion Effect where smouldering powder goes off with a bang. It's rare and if your powder is fresh and a full column I can't see that happening. More likely the primer just does not go off and unless you have sprayed them with WD40 (primer killer) they will be fine.

Comment

• Redraider
          Warrior
          • May 2012

Thanks guys, these were probably mid to late 70's, as that was the last I did any reloading or shooting. Retirement is supposed to allow more time for things you enjoy, I'm going on two years now and still haven't gotten there yet.

Redraider

Comment

• tashley680
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2014

I'm still loading and successfully shooting pistol primers from the late 70's and early 80's that are leftovers from when I was actively shooting USPSA competition. They were in storage in Florida for over ten years before being moved to Maryland, Ohio and finally Idaho. They have been stored in a .50 caliber ammo can and I have every confidence in them without an issue to date. As Klem said, as long as they have not been wet or exposed to oil/solvents you are good to go.

Comment

• Michiganflyer
              Unwashed
              • Mar 2019

I have been reloading many (many) years..... Cast bullets, pistol, rifle. I finished up some of my dad's old small rifle primers from the 1960s. They were always stored in a cool dry place, which I believe is key. I loaded them into 223 and didn't notice any difference in grouping.

Comment

• SDW
                Warrior
                • Jul 2018

I've fired a fair amount old Milsurp ammuntion: 303 British. From the 1950s to the 1970s. Berdan and Boxer primed. Lord knows how it was all stored at various times. I can tell you that I never had one fail to light off.

Comment

Working...
                X