Is it possible to bump the shoulder back on loaded ammo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Is it possible to bump the shoulder back on loaded ammo?

I loaded a bunch of ammo that I'm having troubles with chambering. About 1 in 6 won't allow the bolt to lock up and fire and they are hard to extract. I think I may have gotten shell holders mixed up an didn't get a full sizing. I'm pretty certain the bullets are not getting stuck in the lands B/C I checked the AOL for every type of bullet. I have a spare sizing die and was wondering if it would be possible to ream out the neck a little and use it to bump the shoulders back if in fact this was the problem. I would rather not pull down 300 loaded rounds to resize them. What could be potential problems caused by resizing loaded rounds?

I intend to get to the bottom of what is causing this tonight. I should have more info later.
    Last edited by txgunner00; 02-27-2012, 06:38 PM.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
  • rasp65
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

You can't do it unless you have a body die(a special die that doesn't size the neck). Your best bet would be to pull the bullets, dump the powder, take off the decapping pin and resize properly. Then reassemble the ammo.

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

A body die is basically what I was intending to make by reaming out the neck portion on my lathe. I've just never done body sizing myself so I don't know the details.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

Hers an option without carving up a sizing die...

From the Redding web site
        Reloading equipment for rifles, handguns, pistols, revolvers, custom dies, bullet casting equipment, powder measuring and weighing equipment, bullet seating dies

"by removing the bushing and all internal parts, the Type-S full bushing die may also be used as a body die"

I’m not recommending the practice… just showing an option. Whether or not it’s a good idea on loaded ammo is up to you to decide.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-27-2012, 08:25 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JohnOD View Post
          Hers an option without carving up a sizing die...

From the Redding web site
          Reloading equipment for rifles, handguns, pistols, revolvers, custom dies, bullet casting equipment, powder measuring and weighing equipment, bullet seating dies

"by removing the bushing and all internal parts, the Type-S full bushing die may also be used as a body die"

I’m not recommending the practice… just showing an option. Whether or not it’s a good idea on loaded ammo is up to you to decide.
          This is what I did when I needed to bump a shoulder back a couple thousandths in loaded ammo. You must be very careful and go very slow!

I don't endorse the practice of sizing loaded ammo, but I'll admit I have done it.

Comment

• StoneTower

Take the upper off the rifle and check each round to see if it will chamber. The bolt should close with just slight finger pressure on the back of the bolt carrier. It should eject just as easily. I would sort the rounds that do not chamber and then get a Hornady collet bullet puller and do the job correctly. The Hornady pullers work very well, are not expensive and are fairly fast. They are handy and as everyone makes mistakes, make recovering the components easier. If you test the rounds in this manner, the recoil spring is not pushing on the round so it will not get stuck in the chamber unless you push too hard.

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I've gone through and chambered pretty much all the ammo and sorted them. I just wish I had done this BEFORE I went up in a helo to shoot hogs. The test loads I fired before the trip all ran fine but something went awry when I loaded the rest. My 7 y.o. was helping me size the brass so that could be a factor. She has sized hundreds of pieces of brass for me before, I watch her closely and I've never had an issue before. The other thing it could have been is I had inadvertently used a #6 RCBS shell holder on the press when it should have been a #32. I can't repeatably measure any difference between the two, maybe 0.0005" difference in depth but that's it.

I'll have to figure this out or it will drive me nuts. I don't want to repeat it.

Comment

• txgunner00
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                This is what I did when I needed to bump a shoulder back a couple thousandths in loaded ammo. You must be very careful and go very slow!

***(bla,bla,bla)***** I'll admit I have done it.
                Well since an esteemed and experienced gentleman such as yourself has done it, it must be OK. Thanks for the tip! Off to the bench...

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                  ......I just wish I had done this BEFORE I went up in a helo to shoot hogs. The test loads I fired before the trip all ran fine but something went awry when I loaded the rest....
                  Oh Man! Say it ain't so! Did this screw up your helo hog hunt??? I hope you had some Hornady factory ammo along with you and you rapidly swapped mags and saved the day??? Please say it's so!
                  Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                  We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

If ever you wanted to have your A-game........
                    I feel for you, it's another price to pay for being a good Daddy.
                    I'll bet it's the difference between a 7 yr old's push to a stop and a full push to a positive stop.
                    If you had your hand on the handle, you would feel the difference, but if you watch her you won't see it.

How many of the iffy ones do you have? maybe you want to sell them to me, or trade them for once fired brass?

Comment

• infidel470

@Txgunner00, my friend Noone had the same problem with aprox. 500pcs of reloaded ammo and fix it safely, your best bet will be to shoot him a line and he will explain the process to you.

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                        Oh Man! Say it ain't so! Did this screw up your helo hog hunt??? I hope you had some Hornady factory ammo along with you and you rapidly swapped mags and saved the day??? Please say it's so!
                        It didn't mess it up too bad. I could have got a few more while I was clearing jams but the hunt was still blast. My BIL and I got 20-24 in the hour we were up. I did have a back up plan of taking a shotgun. I had 120 rounds of 00 buck at my feet the whole time, but, the outfitter forgot to put the shotgun in the bird in our haste to take off. There were quite a few things that didn't go to plan that day but it all worked out and we had the most fun any of us had in a long time. I'll post another thread with links to videos later today.

Originally posted by ibgp3 View Post
                        If ever you wanted to have your A-game........
                        I feel for you, it's another price to pay for being a good Daddy.
                        I'll bet it's the difference between a 7 yr old's push to a stop and a full push to a positive stop.
                        If you had your hand on the handle, you would feel the difference, but if you watch her you won't see it.

How many of the iffy ones do you have? maybe you want to sell them to me, or trade them for once fired brass?
                        Maybe 50-60 so far. Thanks for the offer but I'll get these corrected one way or another.

The press I have my daughter use is actually a 50 cal press so she has plenty of leverage. It also makes a distinct sound when it bottoms out. This is why I'm not convinced that's is the cause yet. I still need to do some more testing to get to the bottom of it when time permits. I'll post my findings when I do.

Originally posted by infidel470 View Post
                        @Txgunner00, my friend Noone had the same problem with aprox. 500pcs of reloaded ammo and fix it safely, your best bet will be to shoot him a line and he will explain the process to you.
                        Thanks for the info. I'll shoot him a message.

Comment

• The Wolverine

I use a bump gauge on every couple cases when resizing to confirm all is as it should be. I case checker is a handy tool also.

Glad to hear your hunt was not ruined.

Remember if there are no pictures it didn't happen

Comment

• txgunner00
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by The Wolverine View Post
                            I use a bump gauge on every couple cases when resizing to confirm all is as it should be. I case checker is a handy tool also.

Glad to hear your hunt was not ruined.

Remember if there are no pictures it didn't happen
                            Yep- those just moved up on the "too get" list.

Here's a pic for now...

flying pig2.jpg

Comment

One of my buds works for Wildlife Services (APHIS) and the feds sent him to a class for aerial gunning, fixed wing and helicopters. Problem is he can’t keep his food down when the flying gets too squirrely. One time he told the pilot “think I’m gona puke” the pilot said “not in my plane… I just cleaned it” so he pulled his shirt out and let it go down on his chest. Ten minutes later they were back on the ground and my buddy went swimming in a canal to get cleaned up. Now he's one of the guys on the ground .

Comment

Working...
                              X