• grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Thanks guys, I wasn't aware of the crown trick but will give it a go.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Pictures of the straw setup

I took a couple of pictures of how mine is set up.
        One pic shows the sawtooth (the "crown") for the outlet of the chute.
        Now the straw length is cut to extend all the way back into the chute to the rear most part.

The second pic is of the "slot" I cut in it for the powder to enter the chute. The original setup has the chute open all the way across the inner part of the powder tower. You don't need that, in fact that contributes to too much going thru when you need that trickle.

straw-setup-2.jpgstraw-setup-1.jpg

Hopefully this helps you all see what's going on.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
          I took a couple of pictures of how mine is set up.
          One pic shows the sawtooth (the "crown") for the outlet of the chute.
          Now the straw length is cut to extend all the way back into the chute to the rear most part.

The second pic is of the "slot" I cut in it for the powder to enter the chute. The original setup has the chute open all the way across the inner part of the powder tower. You don't need that, in fact that contributes to too much going thru when you need that trickle.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17513[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17514[/ATTACH]

Hopefully this helps you all see what's going on.
          My chargmaster lite aren't made like that on the inside. It's a soild tube with 2 small ports drilled into it to feed the powder from the tank down into the tube.

But I think the way you did the straw will work the same in the chargmaster lite.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Grayfox,

That's the part I like but don't yet have - the straw going all the way to the back where it can restrict the cut-out feeder part. Being able to regulate the column of powder surely stops it from clumping at the spout. You've got a good system there.

Comment

• JCSC
              Warrior
              • Sep 2019

Would you all still go with the charge master lite if you were making a purchase now, in the same $$ range?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by JCSC View Post
                Would you all still go with the charge master lite if you were making a purchase now, in the same $$ range?
                For my needs yes. Simple because they take up such lil space on my bench.

Comment

• nodakjohns
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2020

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                  For my needs yes. Simple because they take up such lil space on my bench.
                  Don't they take up about the same amout of space ?

Comment

• nodakjohns
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2020

I myself am glad i went with the original. I knew when they came out with the lite version it being substantially cheaper that it would have less features. Some ppl have really dug into the chargemasters and have done work to the circuit boards.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by nodakjohns View Post
                      Don't they take up about the same amout of space ?
                      No the lite is much smaller foot print the the original chargmaster.

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

A5 I wanted to ask you this question, been wondering about it a little.
                        I haven't seen any clumping behavior with either varget or other stick powders with my reloading - even over some years. I wonder is anything else going on that could be doing that to you...
                        like perhaps some moisture sneaking in somehow? (if it's not in AC then moisture could be happening).
                        Not doubting just wondering if anything else could be affecting you...

Comment

• Klem
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

My powder doesn't clump either but as you faff about on the bench the pile of powder at the end of the straw is so delicate that the top of it will collapse after the machine has decided its finished.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                            A5 I wanted to ask you this question, been wondering about it a little.
                            I haven't seen any clumping behavior with either varget or other stick powders with my reloading - even over some years. I wonder is anything else going on that could be doing that to you...
                            like perhaps some moisture sneaking in somehow? (if it's not in AC then moisture could be happening).
                            Not doubting just wondering if anything else could be affecting you...
                            No. No moisture are anything. I been monitoring it for a bit and all of my machines have the same issue with varget.

I'm not sure about the chargmaster but the lite has straight flutes cut inside the feeding tube. And the powder seems to hang up in those flutes.

It makes a clump right at the end as it's in its trickle mod. It creates a large build up and when it drops it gives me a overcharge.

It happens with h4895 and h322 but not nearly as much as with varget.

Next time I run some loads with varget, i will see if i can catch it on vid.

I boarded over the window in my loading room and the action vent is on the floor on the opposite side of the room and has a old coffee table over it that I use as a shelf.

So its not a wind issue. I keep my machines whiped down with static clean sheets to stop electric charge in the reservoir. I'm useing a glass powder pan as well.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                              My powder doesn't clump either but as you faff about on the bench the pile of powder at the end of the straw is so delicate that the top of it will collapse after the machine has decided its finished.
                              Yes this is what's basically happening. The machine stops and does its lil soft twitch to trickle the last few tenths and that's when it drops a big clump and gives me so many overcharges.

I do think the straw will help a ton with this issue. Just haven't got around to going pass McDonald's to get a straw yet.

Comment

• grayfox
                                Chieftain
                                • Jan 2017

Be sure and pick up 2 or 3 so you have spares in case of messed up cuts ...??

Comment

Working...
                                X