• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • colbyshoots
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2019

New to reloading and can't figure out which primers to use

I've read through the load thread (all 25 pages) and my head is spinning. What is everyone using for primers? What's the preferred primer and what can be used with decent results? I am using this in a gas gun (AR) which may change the answer a bit.

Thanks for the help.

By the way, this is the wrong time to start reloading in case anyone wasn't aware...
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

there are many
    typically small magnums are preffered (ex: cci450, cci41)
    i am using fed gold medal match ar (GM205MAR)
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by mdram View Post
      there are many
      typically small magnums are preffered (ex: cci450, cci41)
      i am using fed gold medal match ar (GM205MAR)
      Add Remington 7 1/2 primers to that list that is their magnum primer and works good if you find them

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

What they said...
        but in today's environment, take stock of what primers you do have.
        Only a few are really no-no's: like rem 6 1/2.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• lazyengineer
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2019

Just my opinion, but 6.5 Grendel is a low pressure round, with a high density case fill. You can pretty much use any primer you want (or can find). It's still high enough pressure to maybe pierce a pistol primer, but essentially any small rifle primer should work fine.

AR15 is semi-auto; so there is some potential for primer dinging a little during cycling. Pretty much any primer is designed for this, and plenty of people use CCI400, or other small rifle primers just fine.

The only specific rifle primer I would avoid is the Reming 6 1/2, which is designed for particularly low pressure rifle rounds, and maybe not a good choice for AR15. That said, if that's all I could find, I wouldn't run it at 60,000 PSI 5.56, but I'd probably give it a go in mildish 48,000 psi Grendel loads.

CCI41 and other magnum primers tend to have thicker cups to handle high pressure; which isn't an item in Grendel. And have more violent flame; to more reliably ignight a large case volume or a case volume with only a partical charge of powder; niether of which apply to Grendel either. The thicker cups do help lower the risk of slam fire; but the only slam fires I ever hear of, are the very rare one at Camp Perry where people are singling loading and dropping bolts, and you get like 1 slam fire every 5 years, and about 100,000 dropped bolts per year. And pretty much all those competitors are using the CCI450 or Rem 7 1/2 that everyone is recommending anyway. (And I can't help but wonder if all of those slam fires were REALLY slam fires, and not loose-finger-on-trigger)

Anyway, long way for me to say - use whatever you can find, and you'll be fine.
          4x P100

Comment

• colbyshoots
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2019

I am lucky enough to have someone who is taking pity on me and is willing to part with some primers (400s, 7 1/2s, Winchester Small Rifle and Federal Gold Metal Match Large Rifle) and some various Hodgdon powders. I just want to make sure whatever I take can and will be used.

Multi use is also key as I'll be reloading 300 BLK and 5.56/.223 in the future.

Comment

• mdram
              Warrior
              • Sep 2016

300 BLK and 5.56/.223 should use the same primers as grendel, and powders for the most part
              just some targets for printing
              https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• lazyengineer
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by colbyshoots View Post
                I am lucky enough to have someone who is taking pity on me and is willing to part with some primers (400s, 7 1/2s, Winchester Small Rifle and Federal Gold Metal Match Large Rifle) and some various Hodgdon powders. I just want to make sure whatever I take can and will be used.

Multi use is also key as I'll be reloading 300 BLK and 5.56/.223 in the future.
                7 1/2 are the best ones in the list. Dont know your relationship with your source, but if that was on my shelf, I's run the 400's and save the others for higher P 5.56. If you are paying premium. Then take the 7 1/2. If this is a friend just helping a buddy out, probably take the 400s
                4x P100

Comment

• colbyshoots
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2019

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
                  7 1/2 are the best ones in the list. Dont know your relationship with your source, but if that was on my shelf, I's run the 400's and save the others for higher P 5.56. If you are paying premium. Then take the 7 1/2. If this is a friend just helping a buddy out, probably take the 400s
                  We didn't talk money and I'd be willing to bet he wouldn't even charge current market price. He's a great old man who I talk with every day at work. He's been bringing in pistols he thinks I'd like to see just to shoot the shit about them. Ultimately I'll pay current market price even though he wont want to take that much.

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by colbyshoots View Post
                    I've read through the load thread (all 25 pages) and my head is spinning. What is everyone using for primers? What's the preferred primer and what can be used with decent results? I am using this in a gas gun (AR) which may change the answer a bit.

Thanks for the help.

By the way, this is the wrong time to start reloading in case anyone wasn't aware...
                    Look at the published reloading data produced by the powder or bullet manufacturer. They will state which primer they used.

When the Grendel came out, Alexander used CCI 450's almost exclusively. The reason is simple. They are super consistent and won't slam fire with a gas gun.

So, if your buddy has CCI 450's -- get them.

LR55

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Any of them are fine - just don't mix them up if you want the smallest groups.

Comment

Working...
                      X