anyone reload the Grendel for ak platform?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brunt The Grunt
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2020

anyone reload the Grendel for ak platform?

things are drying up. Grendel ammo that I can find is priced too high, even the cheap wolf. Built a custom Ak in the Grendel last year in Jan and got some pretty good numbers out of it with the 100 grain Wolf and wanna keep feeding it. Just ponied up on a reloading kit, dies, three way trimmer, shell holder, and plan to get the components to load at a local gunshow coming up next week while the gettin is still good. First time reloader and if anyone has any pointers or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.
  • Harpoon1
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Brunt The Grunt View Post
    things are drying up. Grendel ammo that I can find is priced too high, even the cheap wolf. Built a custom Ak in the Grendel last year in Jan and got some pretty good numbers out of it with the 100 grain Wolf and wanna keep feeding it. Just ponied up on a reloading kit, dies, three way trimmer, shell holder, and plan to get the components to load at a local gunshow coming up next week while the gettin is still good. First time reloader and if anyone has any pointers or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-05-2021, 12:26 AM.

Comment

• Brunt The Grunt
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2020

thanks for responding. Price gouging aside I figure get what I can before the end of the month with all the election stuff going on. I actually found this site due to LRR52's extensive posting on his 6.5 grendel shorty with the GRSC scope he has on it <-----which I had been looking for information on before purchasing to top off a 5.45 project. Between his info on the Grendel, another member here am4966 who spun a tail on a smith in MI who did a 6.8 mauser job on an AK, a guy on the akforums selling Grendel barrels for the AK, and an extra ak in 7.62x39 I had laying around that I wanted to do something different with..I came up with this

barrel info:

16 inch
      4150 chromoly
      -chrome lined bore and chamber.
      -raw outer finish for good press fit.
      -thermo stress relieved
      -air gauged
      -button rifled
      -1-8" twist rate.

receiver is a 1.5mm thick Yugo M70ab2 underfolder. The smith in MI who am4966 referenced is Ken at Global Gunsmithing who put my barrel in and absolutely knocked it out of the park
      Last edited by Brunt The Grunt; 01-04-2021, 08:39 PM.

Comment

• Harpoon1
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2017

Comment

• Brunt The Grunt
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2020

greetings fellow ak guy, no krebs safety for the Yugo at that time. The guy from AK master mount did a limited run of safeties for the Yugo with the BHO back in 2018 and I jumped on it. I think Krebs came out with a yugo safety late last year. Good eye on the palm grip

Comment

• BowChamp
            Warrior
            • Oct 2016

I know absolutely nothing about AK's. I just want to know how it goes for you at the gun show.

Please keep us posted.

Comment

• Harpoon1
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2017

Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-05-2021, 12:44 AM.

Comment

• Brunt The Grunt
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2020

Originally posted by BowChamp View Post
                I know absolutely nothing about AK's. I just want to know how it goes for you at the gun show.

Please keep us posted.
                lol I'll keep yah posted. Also, most wouldn't think to look here but I've cleaned house locally for ammo at pawnshops. Some even have reloading stuff behind the counters.

Comment

• Brunt The Grunt
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2020

it's a press on adjustable gas block with a pic rail on it incase I want to run a front sight.
                  Replaced the rear sight block with a saberworks KOP interface that you can switch out optic mounts depending on what you're running over the dust cover. As far as AK's go, that's the most stable optics platform I've ever ran with magnified glass. I've got a base for a 1-10 that accepts Larue rings that I can switch out the base with just the push of a pen. No zero deviations, no rattle, it's tough. The base you see on it now it now has a built in traditional rear sight notch on the end of it incase I want to run flat irons, otherwise I can just put an RDS on it. Having the notch back there really increases the sight radius on it. Krebs makes great stuff for sure

Comment

• Harpoon1
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2017

I like it!

Where did you get a chrome line 6.5 barrel? That should last forever!

What are you going to do for mags? Will the Grendel run out of traditional Combloc AK mags?
                    Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-05-2021, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• Brunt The Grunt
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2020

Guy on akfiles had Green Mountain run a few for him. I believe he was selling them for the better part of two years till he ran out of them.

For mags:

Comment

• Harpoon1
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2017

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Comment

• Brunt The Grunt
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jan 2020

thank you for the advice. My buddy gave me an RCBS rotary trimmer and recommended a trim pro 3 way and said a 30 cal may work but wasn't sure. Would you happen to know if he's correct?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X