• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Oso Polaris View Post
    I ordered the JKL's Kinetic trigger on Monday and received on Thursday (Christmas Eve)! Today, I ran out to the range to test some loads (not 6.5 Grendel), and it is working flawlessly. Best $30 purchase for the Labradar.
    Oso,

Excellent news and still cheap as chips.

I find they can work a little too well if you forget to turn the radar back to to Standby between strings and mags. As you muck about with the gun, especially when loading a round manually with the charge handle. It ends up with a ghost reading, but easy to spot for the extra shot registered and out of the corner of your eye you see the amber light blink.

Comment

• jrf
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2020

Out of 16" Ruger Ranch

Powder charge brass fps
      LeverEvo 30.5 lapua 2231
      LeverEvo 31 lapua 2267
      LeverEvo 31.5 lapua 2306
      LeverEvo 32 lapua 2358
      LeverEvo 32.5 lapua 2422
      LeverEvo 33 lapua 2425
      LeverEvo 33.5 lapua 2482

graph.jpg

32.5 and up I had to extend seating depth to 2.2 - 2.215 because of case fill.

Next is to explore between 32.5-33
      Last edited by jrf; 01-02-2021, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• Oso Polaris
        Warrior
        • Apr 2019

Originally posted by jrf View Post
        Out of 16" Ruger Ranch

Powder charge brass fps
        LeverEvo 30.5 lapua 2231
        LeverEvo 31 lapua 2267
        LeverEvo 31.5 lapua 2306
        LeverEvo 32 lapua 2358
        LeverEvo 32.5 lapua 2422
        LeverEvo 33 lapua 2425
        LeverEvo 33.5 lapua 2482

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17408[/ATTACH]

32.5 and up I had to extend seating depth to 2.2 - 2.215 because of case fill.

Next is to explore between 32.5-33
        How was accuracy. Did you notice any trend in grouping size?

Comment

• jrf
          Unwashed
          • Nov 2020

How was accuracy. Did you notice any trend in grouping size?
          Haven't got that far yet...haven't had much time lately. Just ran those over a chrono to get an OCW ladder and see where I was with pressure/speed. Based on what I saw I don't think you can stuff enough of this stuff in there to get over pressure. (Well I'm sure now that I said that someone will figure out how). Next loads will be in the 32.5-33 range...if I can get some small ES/SDs then I can play with what little I have of COAL for accuracy. Going to have to get my long drop powder funnel working on these I think. I'm down to my last box of 50 though so I'm going to have to be pretty stingy on the loads/testing. I'm sure in the next few months they'll become available again.

Comment

• Oso Polaris
            Warrior
            • Apr 2019

JRF - I appreciate you picking up the torch on this bullet/load testing. I have two questions related to your velocity numbers:
            1) How many shots were taken at each powder charge weight to come up with the velocity?
            2) What was temperature when you did your test firing? LVR is temp sensitive so trying to gauge movement if at different temperature.

When I know I'm near the general charge weight (+/- 1gr) I do 5 shot groups with 0.3gr incremental charge weights between each group. If I see something that catches my attention then I will go back to that load and re-test going a little below and above to find the sweet spot. So easy to burn 50-100 rounds really dialing in a bullet/powder combo for a specific rifle. I have held off doing the LVR / 115gr Barnes until my new Timney Trigger arrived. It looks like I may need to have the trigger opening in the bottom metal opened a little for the new trigger. It will be a several weeks before this gets turned around.

Comment

• jrf
              Unwashed
              • Nov 2020

JRF - I appreciate you picking up the torch on this bullet/load testing. I have two questions related to your velocity numbers:
              1) How many shots were taken at each powder charge weight to come up with the velocity?
              2) What was temperature when you did your test firing? LVR is temp sensitive so trying to gauge movement if at different temperature.

When I know I'm near the general charge weight (+/- 1gr) I do 5 shot groups with 0.3gr incremental charge weights between each group. If I see something that catches my attention then I will go back to that load and re-test going a little below and above to find the sweet spot. So easy to burn 50-100 rounds really dialing in a bullet/powder combo for a specific rifle. I have held off doing the LVR / 115gr Barnes until my new Timney Trigger arrived. It looks like I may need to have the trigger opening in the bottom metal opened a little for the new trigger. It will be a several weeks before this gets turned around.
              1. Only 3...conserving bullets....is what it is
              2. It's winter here and I shoot out of my basement keeping the rounds at house temp. So 65 Deg F down there. Good question.

I wish I had more bullets...but...Those 50 aren't doing anything anyways so I figured I'd keep moving forward until I ran out. I think exploring 32.2 - 33.3 is my next step. More rounds better AVG and get some SD/ES numbers. This is a hunting load for me. Anything under an 1" MOA is going to be acceptable. However I'll bet we can get better than that. After I get the charge weight down next will be seating depth...but I'm thinking I'll be out of bullets before I can finish that. BUT hoping I'll be able to get more before next hunting season.

Comment

• jrf
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2020

Followup...years later, lol. But I ended up with 32.6 of LVR with 1" MOA accuracy. I think the slower TAC loads were a bit more accurate but this is for hunting here in PA and 1MOA is PLENTY good enough. Plus another 150 fps is not a minor increase. I'm getting 2454 avg fps with this load at 2.185 OAL with the 115 Barnes bullet TAC-TX bullet. This again is out of a 16" RAR.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by jrf View Post
                  Followup...years later, lol. But I ended up with 32.6 of LVR with 1" MOA accuracy. I think the slower TAC loads were a bit more accurate but this is for hunting here in PA and 1MOA is PLENTY good enough. Plus another 150 fps is not a minor increase. I'm getting 2454 avg fps with this load at 2.185 OAL with the 115 Barnes bullet TAC-TX bullet. This again is out of a 16" RAR.

Comment

Working...
                  X