• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • depletedyourcranium
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

6.5 Grendel 100gr Wolf Projectile Diameter

I know there was a rumor that Wolf was upsizing their tooling to make the 100gr projectile a 0.264 diameter over the previous 0.262 diameter. I just measured some new production I got in today with a production date of 9/2020, and the pulled bullet still measured 0.262. Just a heads up to anyone who's been curious and hasn't been able to snag any new production ammo.

Personally, I don't think a change is warranted because its just as possible to hurt accuracy as much as help it but that's another discussion entirely... Regardless, it looks as if those changes are either unfounded rumors or still have yet to be implemented.
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Thanks for the info. Good to know.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Comment

• Fess
        Warrior
        • Jun 2019

It would make perfect sense for bimetal bullets to be slightly undersized. I remember reading an NDIA paper a number of years ago that tried to quantify the forces on a bullet as it enters the rifling and travels down the barrel. If a bullet is the same diameter as the barrel's grooves, its cross-sectional area is greater than that of the barrel which has lands protruding into it. In other words, the bullet must be swaged to a smaller average diameter. The jacket must become longer. The steel in a bimetal bullet is less ductile than brass or copper, so it would make sense to size it closer to the actual cross-sectional area of the barrel.

I slugged a Russian Saiga 7.62x39 barrel. The lands were much more narrow than the grooves, resulting in a greater cross-sectional area in the barrel and less distortion to the bullet. Also, the diameter of the Russian and East European 7.62x39 bullets tended to be 1 or 2 thousands smaller than the grooves of that Russian Saiga barrel. Early in the life of the Grendel, I recall that Bill Alexander stated something about bimetal bullets preferring the sharp "European" rifling to what most US barrels used. I've always wondered what he meant by that.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
          X