• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

7.62x39 magazine for fire forming

I'm curious if anyone has used a 7.62x39 AR magazine for fire forming brass. I have loads worked up using using re-sized but non fire formed AK brass for varmint blasting, plinking, etc. They function OK in Grendel magazines but every once and a while one will nose dive into the front of the magazine and fail to feed. I don't see why they wouldn't help improve reliability.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

txg, I use a C Prod 10-round 7.62x39 mag for shooting Grendel from the bench. Other than a couple or so failures to feed when I first started using the mag for the Grendel, it's been flawless since.

The 10-round 7.62x39 mag is an odd duck. The rib design of the 7.62 mag looks idendical to the rib design of my 6.5 Grendel mags and my one 6.8 mag. It looks nothing like the rib design of my 30-round 7.62x39 C Prod mags. The 10-round mag does have a black follower that has the same shape and color of the followers in my 7.62x39 30-round mags, but that seems to be the only similarity. Interestingly, I didn't have much luck running 7.62x39 out of that 10-round mag.

Here's a picture of the 7.62 10-round mag next to a 7.62 30-round mag that I cut down to try to make a shorter, 20-ish round mag for hunting:

Comment

• Clod Stomper

Yes. Just the other day, I ran about 15 rounds from a full 30 round 7.62x39 mag. Worked fine.

I have a 10 round Grendel mag, a 10 round 6.8 mag and a 10 round 7.62 mag, all from C-Products. I haven't looked at them all together lately, but I remember thinking that they all looked like they use the same mag body when I first received them.

Will

Comment

I use the 7.62x39 30 rounder all the time for fireforming, haven't had an issue with it yet.

Greg

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

thanks
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Working...
          X