• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • R2BRO
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Some aspects about accuracy dependency on case sizing

I have some thoughts about sizing aspects, and I want to formulate them in terms of questions below, feel free to address any of the questions. Each question comes with explanation and maybe some examples in order to express idea/concern.

1) Does different case sizing affect accuracy a lot? For example, let's say one group of cases were sized 0.003" back, and another group of cases were sized differently; 0.003", 0.004", 0.007", 0.005", 0.008" back, in other words, inconsistent sizing. So do you think this will greatly affect overall MOA (given all other conditions same) for second group?

2) I have a Lee turret press, and I insert turret with screwed in sizing die into it. One thing I noticed is, when I pull lever and the bottom side goes up pushing the case into a sizing die, the turret makes around 1-3mm movement between its base, i.e. gets pushed back. That is understood, because turret is inserted into some sort of a cutout inside a frame of the press and there is some walk inside. But what I was wondering is, could this be another variable to inconsistent sizing of cases? we do know that it also depends on how much force applied and how the lever is pushed, but at the same time, if we assume similar force you apply with hand, does the turret type press introduce additional variability in sizing? Would it be better for even more consistent sizing just setup a separate non-turret, i.e. fixed type of press and screw in the sizing die in it and not take it out (say, this is a permanent sizing setup for 6.5G or something).

3) Let's say we intend to size a group of cases 0.003" down from the measured fired case, and we have a fixed type press with sizing die in it. If we perform sizing operation on 100 cases after the sizing die was screwed in and set, do we expect all 100 cases to be sized exactly 0.003" down? (or whatever amount we set it to). Or is the variation there normal? At least for me, even though if I try to have equal movement with my hand pulling the lever... I do see a variation. And now, I want to understand better what is the reason for the variation, and first thing is *Force applied while pulling the lever down*, or in other words, how much force you apply when pulling lever down. Is that the case or not?

If the answer is yes, then it turns out not to be a very easy task to maintain consistency, even after you set certain setting for sizing die.. (or could it still be that my negative experience in seeing variation comes from Lee's turret press? ref. question #2).

I actually remembered once some guy I know told me he worked on some sort of industrial factory, and they had something like "industrial hammer" or whatever that thing is called, and he said it was operated by pressing a pedal which translated the movement of a very huge hammer, so he told me there was one guy who managed to "close a matchbox" using that mega huge hammer. It was extremely difficult because you had to apply a proper amount of controlled force on pedal in order not to smash that matchbox and just close it. So I recalled it now after thinking about sizing operation, in a way that some certain controlled amount of force has to be applied to sizing in order to get consistency. anyway..that was just thought, but I hope question is understood.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Last edited by LRRPF52; 12-05-2020, 06:20 PM.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• tdbru
      Warrior
      • Dec 2019

Thanks LRRPF52. that forster co-ax is a bit more "cool" than i thought.

R2BRO,
      if you do want a turret press, consider the Redding turret press. Redding just bought the one back that they sold to Sierra bullets. Sierra used it for over a million rounds while developing Sierra's various loading manuals. Redding measured it and found no wear. tore it apart and measured everything. no wear. So, i think for a turret press, the Redding turret press is pretty well made and Sierra must have also taken good care of it while in use too.

when i started handloading 40 years ago i bought a 20 to 25 year old (used) RCBS rock chucker. i am still using it. of course i keep it clean and greased but i can find no lateral play in the ram.

if you get a quality press, they will last for the rest of your life. and probably several lifetimes after that too.

a mechanical engineer i worked with at my first job also said a good moly disulphide based grease on the ram will help reduce wear significantly. messy but it must work since my RCBS ram is tight after 60 to 65 years of combined use between whoever owned it before me and myself.

i will probably ruffle some feathers, but i don't consider LEE to be that long lasting. also I am not a fan of DILLON either. i had borrowed a dillon square deal and used it for awhile before returning it. they expect wear in their presses and sell replaceable plastic bushings that they expect you to replace periodically as the press wears. However if you load in volume i can understand the lure of the progressive presses. in my, non expert opinion, if you stick with the cast steel presses from reputable manufacturers you'll likely have the longer lasting setup.

-tdbru

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

R2,

If your press toggles-over-centre then it doesn't matter how inconsistent you are with the stroke, it will always be the same on the cases.

I only use spray lube on handgun, preferring a roll pad for long gun. It guarantees the same amount of lube on the total surface area of the widest diameter of a case. It also guarantees no lube gets into the case neck. I am trying to get the most consistent neck tension I can.

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

Varying case sizes will affect accuracy as energy is used to fully expand the case within the chamber, resulting in varying pressures on the bullet as it travels down the barrel. Just one of the many factors including, varying case wall thicknesses, inaccurate powder charges, varying bullet weights, etc. But it is one of the easier factors to control.

I was going to mention this in your other post, but I'll do it here instead. When you do your measurements for headspace, don't forget that there will be error in your measurement that comes from the tool / gauge / etc. Everyone seems to do fine with a 0.03" bump. I actually target 0.005" just to give a little margin for error. I'll trade a little brass life to reduce the risk of having a round get stuck due to error (both measurement and mine) when I'm on the clock, a prairie dog is poking his head up out of it's hole, or when a nazi RO might take issue with me cratering my rifle at the range.
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• R2BRO
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

alright...so for best consistency, no turret press - correct? Separate press for sizing and bullet seating?

btw, this is the press i have now:

can you recommend me more press products?
            Last edited by R2BRO; 12-06-2020, 02:32 AM.

Comment

• R2BRO
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

I watched videos about Forster Co Ax, that seems interesting! so is it really recommended for a PRECISIOn loads?

also if i buy forster Co Ax, do i now need to buy new dies, or can i keep using my Lee dies for now?

Comment

• R2BRO
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

alright it seems that Forster Co-Ax requires some "rings" with threads, where dies are screwed in, so i can continue using my old dies! and wow this really seems great!

so do you think guys that if i buy Forster CO-Ax its good choice for PRECISIOn loading?

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by R2BRO View Post
                  alright it seems that Forster Co-Ax requires some "rings" with threads, where dies are screwed in, so i can continue using my old dies! and wow this really seems great!

so do you think guys that if i buy Forster CO-Ax its good choice for PRECISIOn loading?
                  R2:

You want a quality press but will continue to use the crappiest dies ever made for the Grendel?

I think you need to stay with your Lee turret and Lee dies for a while. When you figure out why they suck, you will probably know what other presses, dies, and reloading equipment best suit your needs.

There are a bunch of threads on reloading presses and dies on the forum. My advice is to read one or two of these threads before you spend a lot of money on a press.

LR55

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                    Warrior
                    • May 2017

I agree with LR on lee dies (and lee products in general), But I suggest just getting a COAX and set of Forster dies and be done with it. That way your tooling won't be holding you back as you learn the fine points of handloading. An alternative idea is a Rockchucker press and a set of Redding Shell holders, they are very useful for setting consistent shoulder bump. A lot of folks here like Hornady dies, but I am partial to my Forster's. either brand of dies can be used with either press, but I highly recommend using Forster rings for both presses.

Comment

• R2BRO
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

i skimmed through that thread, there are various people swearing by their favorite brand, no definitive consensus.

So let me ask it this way, is the following setup good decision for precision reloading:

Forster Co-Ax press
                      FORSTER 6.5MM GRENDEL ULTRA MICROMETER SEATER - for bullet seating
                      FORSTER 6.5 GRENDEL FULL LENGTH SIZER DIE

what do you think?

Comment

• R2BRO
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

ok got it, ordering now above forster items.

Comment

• R2BRO
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2017

and found press as well, order placed! ;-)

now..i am not sure does it by default come with two rings with threads (holders for dies) or do I need to buy it separately. cant see in description.

Comment

• jasper2408
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2019

Your dies come with rings included.

Comment

Working...
                            X