Clear All
  • MaineAR
    Warrior
    • Sep 2018

PPU ammo any good?

• Rosecrans1
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

That PPU 120gr HPBT shot better than my Federal Premium Gold Medal with the Berger 130 hybride on top. Very consistant though I bought 6 boxes of the same lot number. If you search other threads here you'll find more talk on the PPU Grendel cartridges. You'll also find many that reload this brass and find it very good. I haven't reloaded any but I have over 30 rounds shot so we shall see.

Comment

• Harpoon1
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2017

Comment

• 6.5 Grendel
        Warrior
        • Nov 2015

I handloaded the PPU 120gr HPBT and took two bear this year with it..both DRT'ed on the spot.
        "One Good Shot Is All I Need."

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

Harpoon, Are you saying the old PPU 6.5 ammo blew up in the gun, or that the guy got rid of it? Before the recall, I shot alot of the old PPU and never had a problem (it actually shot pretty consistent). I still have 5-7 boxes of the old PPU ammo.

If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Even the old 120gr MPT PPU was one of the most accurate factory loads at $13 per box. Brass was soft for shooting through a gas gun, but will take multiple loads just fine in a bolt gun for me, even with 129gr SST loads above SAAMI MAP. Primer pockets would loosen after 2 firings in the gas guns, but stay nice and tight in the Howa.

They switched to Small Rifle Primers after that.
            Last edited by LRRPF52; 12-04-2020, 11:12 PM. Reason: Specified 120gr MPT
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Harpoon1
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2017

Harpoon, Are you saying the old PPU 6.5 ammo blew up in the gun.........

Comment

• MaineAR
                Warrior
                • Sep 2018

Well this is all good to hear then, especially since I will be putting it through a bolt gun. I am looking forward to putting this on paper soon.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Comment

• danm
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2014

I had some of the early PPU before it was recalled, broke two extractors so tossed the rest when the recall notice came out.

Comment

• Ron in WKY
                      Unwashed
                      • Dec 2020

Comment

• biodsl
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2011

According to VASCAR2, Wolf was never recalled.
                        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Rkangel
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2020

I have had good luck with PPU so far. Newer stock and the brass is pristine.

Comment

• LR1955
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2011

Ron:

I asked you on the Buy / Sell forum if your Wolf Gold is the 123 Soft Point ammunition.

If it is, nope -- never recalled. JP did post a warning about using it in his rifles because it fowled so badly that it apparently blew one of his rifles apart.

A bunch of it was dumped on unsuspecting people about two years ago and one of them tried to sell it here.

Had to stop it because it is of such poor quality that those of us who were around when it came out think it dangerous.

This ammo was the first imported mass produced 6.5 Grendel. It was so bad that it stopped being produced and we have never seen any more. That was twelve or fifteen years ago.

LR55
                            Last edited by LR1955; 12-04-2020, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2015

LR, is it only the 123 gr Wolf Gold soft point that caused this problem?

I have quite a few boxes of Wolf Gold 120 gr Copper MPT listed as 'non-corrosive boxer primed'.

It dates back a couple years or more, but isn't the soft point version and I haven't noticed anything unusual about it.

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                              Ron:

I asked you on the Buy / Sell forum if your Wolf Gold is the 123 Soft Point ammunition.

If it is, nope -- never recalled. JP did post a warning about using it in his rifles because it fowled so badly that it apparently blew one of his rifles apart.

A bunch of it was dumped on unsuspecting people about two years ago and one of them tried to sell it here.

Had to stop it because it is of such poor quality that those of us who were around when it came out think it dangerous.

This ammo was the first imported mass produced 6.5 Grendel. It was so bad that it stopped being produced and we have never seen any more. That was twelve or fifteen years ago.

LR55
                              If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.

Comment

Working...
                              X