• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigblock
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2018

156gr Norma Oryx kill

Just a quick drive-by to give a quick update on some work I did earlier this year (May) developing some high sectional density deer hunting loads for big body deer in thick cover - i.e. 156 Oryx + 160 Hornady RN, super sonic loads from a 16-inch, 6.5mm Grendel. My original threads are archived somewhere and when I get a chance in the next couple of days I'll try to find/post a link to them.

Quick refresher: the load I ended up going with was 29.4gr RL17, 156gr Norma Oryx, Rem 7.5 primer moving at 2220fps avg from my 3 groove, Trident, 16 in bbl.

Well, good news is I kept my word and hunted with the rifle this year and killed a deer with it. Bad news is I forgot my damn phone in the truck and couldn't take pictures of the organ damage and I didn't want to hike a mile back into the woods after I dragged the thing out by myself.

I'll just say it was a hundred pound doe and I shot it at 80 yards running, quartering away. Waited for the right timing to loose a single round and it felt good. Watched the deer go another 30-40 yards and somersault into a pile.

Below: I basically aimed/hit for "C" in this illustration

Below: the yellow circle-dot is where I was aiming

Below: the bullet recovered from the deer (in the entertainingly wise words of Ted Nugent, "where have we seen this before?!")

Below: bullets recovered from the original gel tests at 100 actual yards (looks like it the gel test of this configuration was a good analog for its real-world results)

The round passed through a rib on entrance, through the liver (cut in half), through a lung (wrecked it), then nearly cleaved the heart completely from the arterial plumbing, then went into the offside shoulder and busted it up to the point of "flopping around in a crunchy, unwholesome way" where it was recovered by the meatcutter.

That bullet launched at 2220fps from a sub-6lb rifle sporting a 16" tube , traveled 80 yards, passed through 18-22" of deer and did all that damage. Ya know, I really couldn't ask for much more from the mouse gun and the heavily laden Grendel. It has officially graduated to deer grade in my book.

-w
  • killin72
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2019

Thanks for sharing this. I have considered working up loads for the 160 round nose but haven't ever actually done it.

Comment

• drykilned
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2018

I would really like to have the full data on that load! I use 160 grain hornady round nose in my 6.5 swede and love it. Would really like to use 160 rn in my grendel 18". Can you give me the coal for your 156 gr load? I have some loaded for my 6.5 swede that I never shot because I finally found some more 160 hornadys. Cannot believe you get 2220fps from the grendel! Sure hope I can get anything over 2100 fps in my 18"!

Comment

• jmkhenka
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2020

Woodleigh has two bullets, 80 and 80A. both are 156 grain. But the 80A is a Protected Point. If you are using a bolt action grendel, you can load it almost 4-5mm longer then the round nose (similar to hornady interlock).

In sweden we have a law regulating what kind of ammo to use for what. The highest is "klass 1" - moose, bear, wolf and pigs are the common ones. It states 156 grain with 2000J at 100 meters.
        This is impossible with the roundnose, case capacity is an issue. but the 80A protected point? It lets me put 28.4 grains of N540 behind it. The chrono didnt work for that shot, but the 28.4 grain load gave me 719 mps (2358 fps).
        with the bullets BC of around .5 gives me 2200 J @100 meters.

Im not sure how this would work in gel or an animal, as he bullet is bonded and much harder then the roundnose. Im not intending to test.

With N550 i could probably get 100-150 FPS more, as the powder is a bit slower then N540. 28.4 N540 was not case full. COL was 62mm I think, with the aftermarket bottom metal i can load 62mm max - 60mm is max with magazine.

Photo of the rounds, 308, 123 SST 56mm, PPSN 62mm, Roundnose 56.5mm

Last edited by jmkhenka; 11-28-2020, 09:30 PM.

Comment

• jmkhenka
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2020

If you intend on testing Hornady IL in the grendel you really need to measure the max COAL in your gun. The bullet touches the lands quite early due to its shape.
          And slow powders are key, N540-N550 if you are using Vihtavuori, or some other similar powders.

Comment

Working...
          X