• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluetick
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2020

primer substitution question

I have a recipe from Sierra's load data. It is for 130gr HPBT bullet, with 24gr powder (H335). They used Winchester WSR primers for their data. My question is, all I have are CCI 400 small rifle primers. Can I use them instead? By the way, this is for a bolt action rifle. The tech at Sierra said I might get a 'hesitation' in ignition and if I do, to stop using the CCIs. I can't say I would be able to sense a hesitation in ignition unless it was a flat out squib, or seconds long. What's the opinion of experienced 6.5 grendel loaders out there?
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

I have had no problem with ignition from swapping WSR and CCI-400 in 223 loads even when using slower burning ball powders than 335. I would give it a try in the Grendel,

Comment

• bluetick
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2020

Comment

• bluetick
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2020

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

They aren't going to be interchangeable per se once you have a load worked up - small differences in ignition could affect accuracy - but substituting for normal prudent load development should not be a problem. In our world of where charts get posted to the internet and become common reference, scroll down to see a list of primers from "hottest" to "coolest" in this thread: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...sance.6985327/
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• SCJim
            Warrior
            • Apr 2019

when working up a precision load my final step is to do ten round groups using various brands of primers. Remington, Federal, CCI etc. I normally find the one I did the initial load testing on has the best results but sometimes find one that does a bit better. Just work up the load using your normal and safe methods with whatever rifle primers you have and you should be fine.

side note - ball powders are supposedly harder to ignite because of the coating than extruded powders and mag primers work better in theory at least.
            Last edited by SCJim; 10-17-2020, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X