• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 65GbySeven
    Warrior
    • Dec 2018

QuickLoad Favor

Long story short, I have a 1951 Winchester Model 70 chambered in 30-06. I have tested factory ammo and have a few that shoot ~.850" consistently. Since my grendel lead me down the path of reloading, thanks for all your help by the way, I am going to try a few projectiles with the 30-06.

I am going to start with the new Speer Impact 172 Grain and H4350. I was hoping a member of the Horde could help me with Starting and Max Loads. Here's the data I have, but having never used QL not sure if you need any other data points.

30-06
    Winchester Brass 1 Fire
    Winchester Large Rifle Primer
    H4350
    Speer Impact 172 GR
    -Length 1.335
    -BTO 0.645
    Suggested COAL from Speer is 3.340
    MAX COAL for this projectile in my chamber is 3.353.
    MAX CTO for this projectile in my chamber is 2.665

Thank you in advance if you're able to help me develop this load. Speer does not have data for H4350.
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

I no longer hace QL so cannot help from that or even if that bullet is in the QL database yet. Speer data online does not list it either but would bet that it will be close to the data for 165 an 180 bullets on their site which for all those bullet weights is starting 54gr and 58gr of H4350 which is interesting that the same powder charges are listed for bullets 15gr apart.

Link to that data https://www.speer.com/reloading/rifle-data.html

Comment

• DB13
      Unwashed
      • Feb 2013

My QL does not list this bullet. If you send me the bullet OAL, the taper length of the boat tail and the diameter of the base I will put it into QL. Also need the bbl length and starting powder charge if you have it.

Comment

• 65GbySeven
        Warrior
        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by DB13 View Post
        My QL does not list this bullet. If you send me the bullet OAL, the taper length of the boat tail and the diameter of the base I will put it into QL. Also need the bbl length and starting powder charge if you have it.
        OAL 1.335
        LENGTH OF BOAT TAIL 0.160
        DIAMETER OF BASE 0.235
        BBL 24"

Based on the Hornady data for similar projectiles I believe 52.0 GR of H4350 would be a safe starting charge.

Thank you!

Comment

• centerfire
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

Comment

• 65GbySeven
            Warrior
            • Dec 2018

Thank you! I think this bullet will really stretch the legs of the old 30-06. Great rifle but heavy for a sporter profiled barrel.

Comment

Working...
            X