Favorite powder 120-123g bullet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite powder 120-123g bullet

These powders seem to be the most popular for 120-123g bullets, what's yours? Any I didn't put on the poll?
    AA2520
    0%
    0%
    W748
    0%
    TAC
    0%
    AR-Comp
    0%
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

XBR 8208, then TAC or 2520.

Comment

• Bill Alexander

I voted as per Bwaites. I like the 8208 powder and it seems versatile in this loading. If I had to handload this would be on my bench along with Western Tac.

Comment

Reloder 15 is my most accurate load with 123 amax, <.500 at 100yds, 2507fps, Ar-comp is second best, 6.5CSS chamber.

Comment

8208 behind 123 A-max from a .264 lbc. So far the best combination I've found.

Comment

Vihtavuori N540 easy first
            XBR close second

Comment

• samalama76

TAC is underrated in my opinion, and I get great results with TAC and those bullet weights.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

8208, for all the 120's, and down to 85 grn. units=same speeds as x-term.

Comment

MEHavey, can you tell me a little about your experience with Vihtavouri N540? About to buy some powder for 120 grain Nosler BT for Hornady brass, CCI 41 Primers, and Would appreciate your experience.
                  Phil

Comment

• Lead Chucker

18" Saturn barrel, grendel chamber and it loves the 95gn v-max with tac, .35 groups center to center at 100yds. Been working on loads with 123gn pills with tac and 8208, it seems to like both. just havn't had the time to do a lot of range work with it.

Comment

Though 8208 is still my best performer in that bullet class, AR-Comp is right behind due to it's wide temperature range and it uses up all the case capacity. Seems to be a slightly softer discharge sensation than 8208 also. So many up and coming powders such as I have been forced to dedicate a second powder drawer for all the bottles. We are truly blessed with so many proven and emerging selections lately.

Hoot

Comment

• COTNTOP
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2011

Ar-comp

Comment

I use Leverevolution & have gotten some great results with it. It seemed to edge out 8208 a tiny bit in my gun as far as range of powder charge having less effect on it than 8208. IOW, .2gr up or down, the groups were still fairly accurate. In my testing, the 8208 if you tried .2 less or more than the "sweet spot", the groups just got way out of hand. Of course, that could be the nut behind the trigger coming loose but still, the results I got on paper at 200yds showed or seemed to show that. YMMV. Oh yeah, that is out of a Satern 24" barrel with 123 VLD's.

MLM

Comment

Benchmark has been my most accurate so far, but still working up loads.

Comment

This is an old thread but, is everyone still thinking the same? Anyone tried N530?

N540, CFE, AR comp all seems to have a slower burn rate than 8208 and N530.

Comment

Working...
                              X