• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JTB
    Bloodstained
    • May 2020

Brass Life Expectancy

I am somewhat new to reloading. How can I tell when my brass is worn out? I have not been over working it just bumping back a couple thousands. What signs should I be looking for. I have fired my Grendel brass about 6 times so far.
  • Lemonaid
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Short version, primer pocket looseness, neck splitting, possible incipient case head separation.
    Not all brass is created equal. I got about 9-10 reloads with Hornady, case neck were spitting. I expect Lapua to do better.

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

JTB,

That's a $64,000 question...it depends.

If you are only bumping 3thou then incipient case separation is not going to be an issue. And unlike handgun brass it's not going to split down from the mouth unless you are working it like a pro. It more like it gets old and tired. How you define that is up to you.

Brass starts to lose ductility but as long as you keep batches together the neck tension should be the same across the strings and precision should not be affected.

The primer pocket will enlarge over multiple firings, especially with high pressure loads. Loose pockets might be the indicator you use to replace them. They won't all go equally loose so you might throw one or two away at a time until you lose confidence with the rest.

Or throw the whole batch out after an arbitrary number of firings.

I keep my brass for a few firings but the day when I don't shoot well, I start looking at the brass and that niggling doubt sets in. Cheap brass tends to get chucked whereas Lapua gets worked to the bone. Plus if it's expensive and hard to get it gets worked to death.

Comment

• JTB
        Bloodstained
        • May 2020

Originally posted by Klem View Post
        JTB,

That's a $64,000 question...it depends.

If you are only bumping 3thou then incipient case separation is not going to be an issue. And unlike handgun brass it's not going to split down from the mouth unless you are working it like a pro. It more like it gets old and tired. How you define that is up to you.

Brass starts to lose ductility but as long as you keep batches together the neck tension should be the same across the strings and precision should not be affected.

The primer pocket will enlarge over multiple firings, especially with high pressure loads. Loose pockets might be the indicator you use to replace them. They won't all go equally loose so you might throw one or two away at a time until you lose confidence with the rest.

Or throw the whole batch out after an arbitrary number of firings.

I keep my brass for a few firings but the day when I don't shoot well, I start looking at the brass and that niggling doubt sets in. Cheap brass tends to get chucked whereas Lapua gets worked to the bone. Plus if it's expensive and hard to get it gets worked to death.

Comment

• Lemonaid
          Warrior
          • Feb 2019

JTB annealing may be in your future. That kind of resets the brass from the effects of work hardening. See annealing threads on the forum or this link. https://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Yes, but you might not notice the difference if you mix them up. Depends on the precision of your gun and your ability to control other variables. To be fair it also depends on your definition of accurate and how fastidious you want to be.

If the old batch still works why not keep them for hunting or drills/plinking but keep the new batch separate for when it counts.

Comment

• JTB
              Bloodstained
              • May 2020

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
              JTB annealing may be in your future. That kind of resets the brass from the effects of work hardening. See annealing threads on the forum or this link. https://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

Comment

• JTB
                Bloodstained
                • May 2020

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                Yes, but you might not notice the difference if you mix them up. Depends on the precision of your gun and your ability to control other variables. To be fair it also depends on your definition of accurate and how fastidious you want to be.

If the old batch still works why not keep them for hunting or drills/plinking but keep the new batch separate for when it counts.

Comment

• Rosecrans1
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2019

Overwhelming majority of my Hornaday brass goes 8 to 9 firings. A few in the batch will experience loose primer pockets as they degrade. Just clean them up and inspect them before and after sizing. Regardless of how they are performing, I throw them out after 9 firings and like you, I seldom push my loads into realms of uncomfortableness.

Comment

• jbmarshtx
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2017

Timely thread as I just revived a 10 month old thread about Alexander Arms brass. I think that mine is starline if they used it. Since I use it for hunting, I only need a few reloads out of it. I used the factory for break in and am shooting 100 TTSX loads. I'm on firing 3 of it. This is with a Howa Mini, and it looks like the cases will go just in front of the case head when they do as there is a bulge after each firing. It may be that the chamber is not as tight as that on the 700.

And as a side note, I shoot Lapua brass in my silhouette rifle. I'm on firings 4 and 5 with it. Everything looks good for it out of a remington 700.
                    Last edited by jbmarshtx; 06-19-2020, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• Labrat198
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2018

Originally posted by JTB View Post
                      I have been using AR Comp and 123g ELDM and 123g SMK. I am to the point now where I just want to work up another ladder test. All my results are inconsistent and it could be that I let all my brass get mixed up not knowing any better.
                      The 123 SMK's don't have a very good reputation of being consistent in the Grendel if I remember correctly.

Comment

• JTB
                        Bloodstained
                        • May 2020

Originally posted by Labrat198 View Post
                        The 123 SMK's don't have a very good reputation of being consistent in the Grendel if I remember correctly.

Comment

• FRB6.5
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2018

Sierra 120 gr HPBT MatchKings are pretty much the "standard", if your barrel won't shoot those well it likely won't shoot anything well.

Comment

• FLshooter
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2019

I had gotten 5-6 firings out of Hornady 6.5 Grendel brass that I bought new ,before annealing.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2018

120gr Berger, VARGET, and FGMM AR primers worked great for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X