• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Swampfox
    Warrior
    • Sep 2018

Reloading Dies

I have the Hornady Grendel 2 die set. What other dies and gauges should I get? Looking for a good case gauge not sure which one though.
  • sundowner
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2017

I have a Wilson case gauge .

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I think this case gauge is better than the Wilson case gauges. Some people thread their own 6.5 Grendel case and fabricate their own Stoney point style cartridge overall length gauge but I bought the Hornady and it works.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 06-17-2020, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

I find the Stoney Pt/Hornady headspace gauge is indispensable, and for all calibres. Rifle gauges are only for one calibre and if your chamber happens to exceed SAAMI they are almost useless.

I have a Sheridan rifle gauge which is great for quick ready-reckoning but the Hornady gets used more often.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Klem View Post
          I find the Stoney Pt/Hornady headspace gauge is indispensable, and for all calibres. Rifle gauges are only for one calibre and if your chamber happens to exceed SAAMI they are almost useless.

I have a Sheridan rifle gauge which is great for quick ready-reckoning but the Hornady gets used more often.
          Same here on the Hornady (formerly Stoney Point) headspace kit. Use the .350" bushing for 6.5 Grendel.

I wish I would have had one of these when I first started reloading. It would have made life so much easier than trying to figure out exactly where to turn my sizing dies down to, without over-sizing and moving the shoulder too much with each firing.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• JDub
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            Same here on the Hornady (formerly Stoney Point) headspace kit. Use the .350" bushing for 6.5 Grendel.

I wish I would have had one of these when I first started reloading. It would have made life so much easier than trying to figure out exactly where to turn my sizing dies down to, without over-sizing and moving the shoulder too much with each firing.
            Speaking of which, I'm getting my Grendel reloading goodies this week and bought the headspace kit...How far back do you push the shoulder? 0.003in or more?
            Last edited by JDub; 06-24-2020, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by JDub View Post
              Speaking of which, I'm getting my Grendel reloading goodies this week and bought the headspace kit...How far back do you push the shoulder? 0.03in or more?
              No less then 3 and no more then 5 from the length of your fired case's.

I have mine setup to give me 4 thousands bump on the case shoulder.

Comment

• JDub
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                No less then 3 and no more then 5 from the length of your fired case's.

I have mine setup to give me 4 thousands bump on the case shoulder.
                Thanks for the advice!

Comment

• Popeye212
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2018

In my Forster dies .01-.02 the case has little to no brass flow or movement??

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Typical bolt gun is .002" bump. Gas is .003" to .005", as A5 mentions. I seat as close to .003" as I can. The more a case is bumped after firing, the more the brass flows, thinning the side walls.

When my cases don't bump enough (~7-8 firings?), I don't chase the bump by cranking down the sizing die. Instead, I anneal to restore the cases to their youthful state.

At the low case pressures we enjoy with this cartridge, long case life is typical.
                    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Popeye212
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                      Typical bolt gun is .002" bump. Gas is .003" to .005", as A5 mentions. I seat as close to .003" as I can. The more a case is bumped after firing, the more the brass flows, thinning the side walls.

When my cases don't bump enough (~7-8 firings?), I don't chase the bump by cranking down the sizing die. Instead, I anneal to restore the cases to their youthful state.

At the low case pressures we enjoy with this cartridge, long case life is typical.
                      That is why I try to minimize the bump in the Grendel. In the .223 I bump .03 because it is a gas gun. The other two bolt guns get .001-.002. Just what I have found works in my guns. IMHO

Comment

Working...
                      X