• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • runner gunner
    Bloodstained
    • May 2019

129 Accubond question

I've just about gotten all my pieces and parts for my 12.5" pistol build rounded up. I'm looking for real world experience with the Nosler 129 Accubond LR. As stated, they'll be used in the 12.5" pistol. I've not used this bullet in my 18" rifle yet, but thought it would be a good choice because of the stated expansion velocity of 1300FPS. I'd appreciate any feedback from any who have used this bullet for hunting especially. This pistol will probably become my truck gun and wear a Griffin Armament Sportsman can with an adjustable gas block. Here in Arkansas the whitetails are not near as large as back in the Midwest, but we do have some large pigs. Thanks in advance for your input.
  • Happy2Shoot
    Warrior
    • Nov 2018

There is also a hunting sub-forum you could ask in. One other bullet to ask about would be the 100 grain Nosler Partition.

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

I would not hesitate to use the 129gr LRAB for hunting from your 12.5 inch barrel. As another member put it, those bullets do not seem to want to slow down. From my 22 inch barrel I have more energy at 400 yards than a 243 does. The bullet does expand well and rapidly from the few hogs I have shot with it and penetrates well. It is what I have gone to for hunting and now several others that have as well.

Comment

• dpete
        Warrior
        • May 2016

Its my hunting bullet of choice in my 12.5" Grendel.

Comment

• runner gunner
          Bloodstained
          • May 2019

Deer, hogs or both? What kind of performance (expansion,penetration)have you gotten with it? Most of my shots will be within 200 yards, nothing over 300. Thanks again

Comment

• runner gunner
            Bloodstained
            • May 2019

Any more input would be greatly appropriated

Comment

• grendelnubi
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

I don't have much kill data to provide but you should be happy with it even at those distances. It is my go to projectile for my all my Grendel's. I've killed two deer using my 12.5" Grendel. One was a neck shot at 120 yards and another neck shot 77 yards. All where DRT and all pass thru's but you expect that at these distances. No noticeable fragmentation, unlike what I have seen with 123 SST.

I have shot it to 500 yards with my 18" Grendel, it was 3.9 mils elevation. I have also shot it to 500 yards with my 12.5" both were successful at pinging a 1 MOA plate at 500 yards using this 129 grain ABLR. The 18" was more reliable at holding the group but the 12.5" did really good also.

If you reload try AR Comp.
              12.5" MV was 2120 fps
              18" MV is 2356 fps.

Comment

• jmkhenka
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2020

AB LR should work great in short barreled grendels. At moderate distances (depending on what you are hunting ofc). Risk with bullets like this are that they are to wet at higher velocities (short range, say in a creedmoor).
                A grendel has lower velocities to start, so it should work at ranges under 100 yards without to much fragmentation.

Bonded bullets are always harder then similar none-bonded bullets, as the bondint process make the lead harder. Only negative thing with them is that i cant get hands on the ligher ABLR in Sweden, as they are relatively new product.

You could also look at the 100 and 125 partition, depending on what goes best in your rifle. Both should expand greatly as they are soft, but might loose more lead in the meat then AB.

Comment

• kpswihart
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2016

Should work just fine. I started deer hunting pretty exclusively with 129 ABLRs out of my 12" gun last year. I'm averaging 2240 fps at the muzzle with just over 31 grains of CFE 223. My load will shoot just under MOA when I do my part. The shorter guns are more difficult to shoot and most of my groups are in the 1.5 MOA range. I've taken it out to 440 on steel with relative ease. Definitely accurate enough. I've only killed one deer with it, so I don't have a large sample size to quote, but I wouldn't hesitate to take game with it out to 300.

Comment

• runner gunner
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2019

Comment

• kmon
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2015

I doubt you can beat this price on the 100gr partitions http://www.shootersproshop.com/loadi...-run-50ct.html

Comment

• runner gunner
                        Bloodstained
                        • May 2019

Comment

• kmon
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2015

Depends on how far you are shooting, the 100 partition will start out faster for sure than the LRAB but will slow down quicker than the LRAB due to a lot lower BC. I would limit my shots with it to where the velocity is above 1900fps, if that range is in your piratical hunting range then go for it. Never felt I had the wrong bullet when shooting partitions for results on game having killed Fox, coyote, pronghorn, whitetail, mule deer, elk and hogs with partitions from 10 yards to over 500.

Comment

• ported45
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2018

Sample size of one so far. We will be using it again.

Saturday, 11-16-2019 @ 5:08pm. 42 yard shot facing head on, down after a 40 yard dash. Ruger Predator shooting 129 ABLR @ 2365 fps muzzle velocity. Recovered bullet weighed 96.2 grains. Recovered bullet in the belly meat after completely wrecking the doe's internals. Took out a 6" section of the ribs on the entry,

Comment

• runner gunner
                              Bloodstained
                              • May 2019

That's impressive. I think this will be the first bullet I work with in the new 12.5" barrel. Thanks for the info and Congrats to your daughter.

Comment

Working...
                              X