• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tin Cup
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2020

CFE223 and 120 SMK questions.

Last edited by Tin Cup; 06-04-2020, 02:54 AM.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I think you have a gas issue with your rifle. That load charge should have been slinging those cases out.

Comment

• Tin Cup
      Unwashed
      • Jun 2020

Comment

• tdbru
        Warrior
        • Dec 2019

TC,
        did your upper come with an adjustable gas block? if not, then there are other possibilities. one of them might be that the gas port (hole) in the barrel is smaller than nominal and you're not getting enough gas to run the BCG. if you search the threads, you can find out, i believe, what the correct barrel gas port diameter is. i'm sure there are other possible explanations but wiser folks than i will need to weigh in with those.
        -tdbru

Comment

• Tin Cup
          Unwashed
          • Jun 2020

It has the click adjustable gas block. No instructions on what way to turn it for more or less gas. An answer on psa website says to turn it clockwise for more gas and counter for less. Sounds backwards to me.
          Last edited by Tin Cup; 06-04-2020, 03:47 AM.

Comment

• Tin Cup
            Unwashed
            • Jun 2020

From the site.

BEST ANSWER: Clockwise to close it ( more gas). Counter clockwise to open it ( less gas). to adjust properly, close it all the way, then open it until the rifle DOES NOT cycle, then close it one more click

Comment

• tdbru
              Warrior
              • Dec 2019

TC,
              if the design is intended to bleed gas off, then closing the bleed hole down allows more gas to run the bcg.
              -tdbru

Comment

• Tin Cup
                Unwashed
                • Jun 2020

Comment

• Labrat198
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2018

Something seems off.

Sounds like you have a gas issue, but I would expect you to have issues picking up the next round if it was just a gas issue.

I still consider myself a novice reloader and with AR's, but whenever I've had gas issues it usually is the enter cycling process not just with ejection.

Comment

• Tin Cup
                    Unwashed
                    • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Labrat198 View Post
                    Something seems off.

Sounds like you have a gas issue, but I would expect you to have issues picking up the next round if it was just a gas issue.

I still consider myself a novice reloader and with AR's, but whenever I've had gas issues it usually is the enter cycling process not just with ejection.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

31.2 grains of cfe223 is near max for just about any bullet in 6.5 grendel.

I'm almost positive you have some kind of gas are rifle issue.

Having used cfe223 with several grain weight bullets from 12 inch all the way up too 25 inch barrels, it should be ejecting your cases at that load.

Comment

• Tin Cup
                        Unwashed
                        • Jun 2020

Comment

• empTshell
                          Bloodstained
                          • Sep 2018

I have a PSA 18" upper and have not had the issue you are describing. I have the adjustable gas block but I have not had to mess with it. My brother also got a 18" PSA upper and it sometimes does not pick up the next round out of the mag. He had to send it back to PSA. I know he just got it back but I don't think he has shot it to see how it preforms now.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Tin Cup View Post
                            bullet construction has something to do with it and the GMX is bundled in with the 120-123 class bullets.
                            You're correct about the 120gr GMX being bundled in with the other 120-123gr bullets, which is why the 129gr cup and core bullets have the 31.7gr data with the same powder.

Depending on your chamber and brass volume, you can load the 123gr cup and core Hornady bullets anywhere from 31.0-32.0gr. Best to do a pressure ladder and see if there are any departures from the trend, or stay in a working window of cyclic rate.

There's also a chance your extractor might have sharp lips on the corners and is hanging onto the brass.

I would tune your extractor and take off those edges if they are present.

Depending on the brass lot and type, the rims can get bound up between the extractor lip and extractor groove, especially with Lapua brass, which has less of a chamfer on the edge of the rim.

Also, I've found that things start to get out of control with 18" MLGS when pushing the upper loads with CFE223 and 123gr bullets for some reason.

No problems with a 16" MLGS, but 18" MLGS needs a way to choke the gas as you stuff more slow-burning ball powders into the case. They hit the port with higher pressure, which makes it want to unlock sooner that what is ideal.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Tin Cup
                              Unwashed
                              • Jun 2020

Last edited by Tin Cup; 06-16-2020, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X