• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unlucky7
    Unwashed
    • May 2018

Baffled

A couple of months ago I put a thread out on a barrel I got from Bear Creek . No MOA at all , I 1/2 was the best I could get . They told me that the TMK 107 And the SMK 123 were the ones to use. Neither panned out at all . The only other thing that I was looking at was the muzzle break . Would the break have any thing to do with the MOA. Or any ideas . Everything I have shoots inch or less so my reloading skills shouldn't be in question .
    Last edited by Unlucky7; 05-28-2020, 09:50 PM.
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Unlucky,

Muzzle brakes don't cause 1/2MOA or more deterioration in group sizes unless they are on such an angle that the bullet is almost touching one side. You would have noticed the angle by now.

Expecting top-tier results out of the cheapest barrels is like wanting your cake and eating it too.

Comment

• bruceleroy
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2015

What Klem said. At least get a Palmetto Barrel. Thats at the very least.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

This is a good lesson that unfortunately many shooters have to learn themselves, rather than learning from other's experience.
        The ammo, time, gas money to/from the range..... all add up to that good or best quality barrel you wanted and should have bought but didn't.

Go ahead and step up to a good barrel, you will thank us for it.
        Don't throw more good money down the poc BCA...
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Unlucky7 View Post
          A couple of months ago I put a thread out on a barrel I got from Bear Creek . No MOA at all , I 1/2 was the best I could get . They told me that the TMK 107 And the SMK 123 were the ones to use. Neither panned out at all . The only other thing that I was looking at was the muzzle break . Would the break have any thing to do with the MOA. Or any ideas . Everything I have shoots inch or less so my reloading skills shouldn't be in question .
          Probably the two most difficult bullets to get to shoot consistently well from anything.

Get some plain old 120 grain Match Kings and if they don't shoot, get a new barrel.

Ditch the 107 and 123 Sierras or use them in a bolt rifle where you can seat them into the lands.

LR55

Comment

• Allen Roberts
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2019

Comment

• Unlucky7
              Unwashed
              • May 2018

I would like to thank all that responded to my question about my reloading skills. Only to find out that the barrel was the problem . Picked up a Faxon Barrel from Brownells . I am now back on target with 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds. Thanks people and to the Grendel community for all your help

Comment

• FLshooter
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2014

..... but BCA posts photos of tight groups to let their customers know what they can expect from their barrels.

What went wrong here ?

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by HuntTXhogs View Post
                    ..... but BCA posts photos of tight groups to let their customers know what they can expect from their barrels.

What went wrong here ?
                    Cherry-picked opportunity/photos.
                    "Hit or miss" -- back when I played some golf, I read where a tree was 90% air only 10% branches/leaves.... but every time I hit a ball through a tree it hit something and bounced, well, anywhere but where I wanted.
                    Those trees were called "hit or miss" but what they were "called" meant little to me since I saw the results I always got.
                    BCA to me is the same, regardless of whatever hype they might have on their web page.
                    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                    X