• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Moose69
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2019

6.5 Grendel in the PRS ?

Has anyone else wondered why the Grendel isn?t popular in the PRS game? Accuracy and low recoil easy to shoot in long strings, somewhat like the 6BR without the cost. All trademarks that are looked for in the game seems to be covered pretty close with the Grendel.Just curious. What says the horde?
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Moose69 View Post
    Has anyone else wondered why the Grendel isn?t popular in the PRS game? Accuracy and low recoil easy to shoot in long strings, somewhat like the 6BR without the cost. All trademarks that are looked for in the game seems to be covered pretty close with the Grendel.Just curious. What says the horde?
    I think it has some play, but not a lot - as far as I can tell.

Can't say for sure, but in that game flat shooting is a big deal; and options like .224 Valk and the 6mm rounds are viewed as flatter shooting with milder recoil; allowing the shooter to see splashes more reliably. Also, no one said it in so many words, but muzzle breaks are a big deal in that game too, to get your glass back on target to look for impacts. And muzzle breaks work best with high pressure; which Grendel does not have. That, and one can run a tighter hole/more efficient break on a smaller .224 or 6 mm based bullet.

I also suspect other cartridges like 6 BR, may be viewed as more accurate.

On a final note, 6.5 Grendel is a round designed to fit in a small frame AR15 platform. That's really the whole point - is the most performance you can fit in an AR15. But in PRS, most shooters shoot bolt actions. In a bolt-action, one has more options and is not limited to the AR15 sized cartridge systems.

That said, I AM starting to find more and more 6.5 Grendel brass on the ground at PRS type of shooting facilities, so might be changing.
    Last edited by lazyengineer; 01-16-2020, 05:59 AM.
    4x P100

Comment

Working...
    X