• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cockednlocked
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2016

123 AMAX vs. 130 ELD performance

I haven't been on the forum in a long time, haven't shot in a while, either, nor have I been reloading. Anyway, looking to try a bunch of 130 ELD's and am wondering what people who've shot them after being used to the 123 AMAX think of them. More or less accurate, how do they do at long range (>600 yards) when compared to the lighter bullet at a higher velocity?

I still have quite a few 123's and have my rifle dialed in really well to them and sort of hate having to change over; but, if the performance is better with the heavier bullet at a slightly lower velocity, then I'm all for it.

What powders and powder weights are you using and what velocities is it giving you? FWIW, I'm using an AR chassis, 20" barrel.DSC09546.JPG
  • FLshooter
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

120g or 123g Hornady ELDM or SMK work for me,Between 26- 28g H335 powder

Comment

• Nimrod
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2016

I’m getting 2475FPS with the 130 ELD with 30.8 grns LRV. No pressure signs but I’d say it’s got to be the very upper limit and definitely Compressed. Great grouping though.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

One thing I notice with the heavier weights is more perceived impact noise on steel plates vs 123gr, even though they are a bit slower.

If you're looking for more auditory satisfaction, then 130gr impacting the plate is very nice.

There will be more arc in the trajectory normally, with about the same wind drift if you compare bullets with high BCs between 123gr and 130gr.

I consider within 600yds to be kind of child's play with this cartridge, no matter the barrel length, but the arc of trajectory is a factor in hit probability that needs to be accounted for well.

A more precise reticle with dialing seems to take care of that for me, with accurate environmental factor data input into my ballistics program, namely barometric pressure and temp.

It comes down to reading the wind, maintaining a level rifle, and applying the fundamentals consistently at that point.

130gr ELD-M should be fun on steel. Tell us how it works out.

If you're shooting paper targets, then I would probably look at the 107gr SMK and run it fast with AR Comp or 8208XBR.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Cockednlocked
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
          I’m getting 2475FPS with the 130 ELD with 30.8 grns LRV. No pressure signs but I’d say it’s got to be the very upper limit and definitely Compressed. Great grouping though.
          Is this in a bolt gun or AR? If an AR, what buffer are you using? H, or H2, and cycling still reliable? I'm using an H buffer with my 123 loads (31 gr. CFE-223) and get a nice moderated recoil and completely solid cycling.

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          One thing I notice with the heavier weights is more perceived impact noise on steel plates vs 123gr, even though they are a bit slower.

If you're looking for more auditory satisfaction, then 130gr impacting the plate is very nice.

There will be more arc in the trajectory normally, with about the same wind drift if you compare bullets with high BCs between 123gr and 130gr.

I consider within 600yds to be kind of child's play with this cartridge, no matter the barrel length, but the arc of trajectory is a factor in hit probability that needs to be accounted for well.

A more precise reticle with dialing seems to take care of that for me, with accurate environmental factor data input into my ballistics program, namely barometric pressure and temp.

It comes down to reading the wind, maintaining a level rifle, and applying the fundamentals consistently at that point.

130gr ELD-M should be fun on steel. Tell us how it works out.

If you're shooting paper targets, then I would probably look at the 107gr SMK and run it fast with AR Comp or 8208XBR.
          More auditory response might be nice, it's difficult to even hear the gong at 1000 yards. The drop at range was my biggest interest, I suppose. My reticle has an extra 30 MOA in the bottom half of the reticle, and I use a 20MOA Warne scope mount. My hits at 1000+yd are pretty close to the bottom of the reticle. The other thing I wondered about was at about what range do the 130's go transonic? The ballistics table worked up for my loads indicate they go subsonic at about 1175 yds. If I can load the 130's to about that range, I'd be happy. I don't want to give up any of what I have, but I'd be tickled to get more.
          I use the same loads for paper as for steel, and adjust the zero accordingly for range. Our club's range goes to 300 yards, so paper at that range is for getting tight, consistent groups. Ringing the steel at that range is for fun and seeing how fast I can get back on target. The range where I can shoot 1000+ uses 18" square plates, which turns out to be approx. 1.8 MOA @ 1000 yds. My best shots have been 1125 yds, 6 to 7 hits out of a 10 round magazine. I suspect they're beginning to tumble a bit by then.

Comment

• Dieselfitter
            Unwashed
            • Nov 2019

I m intersted in what u guys find with the 130’s i have only run up to 100 gr so far and havent found the time to do a work up with 123’s yet .i have good results out to 900 yrds with 100 eld’s havent pushed them into sud sonic yet.
            I have used both 130 eld and 130 gamechangers in my 260 rem gas gun with a slight edge of accuracy from gamechangers , but they have a lower BC.
            I originally had no real plans on shooting this lil caliber that far. Coyote gun out to 300 and deer rifle for wife out to 150 yrds
            But what a fun steel rifle as the time of flight is long before ring
            I wish i knew how to post a video here from my ph.

Comment

Working...
            X