• Show
Clear All
  • mel
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2019

Working Up Load with Power Pro Varmit PPV

using this powder cause i couldnt get my hands on any 8208

but did my first loads today and they look very promising

first up was hornaday brass , cci #400 primers 123g eld-m bullets 28g of power pro
    this got me 2410fps out of my 20 inch barrel shot this group

second load of 5 was
    hornaday brass , cci #400 primers 123g eld-m bullets 28.6g of power pro
    this got me 2513fps out of my 20 inch barrel shot this group

just shot this group over the top of the other group above

third load was
    hornaday brass , cci #400 primers 123g eld-m bullets 29g of power pro
    this got me 2600fps out of my 20 inch barrel
    i unfortunatly forgot to take a pic of the target but it shot just as good as the second load , and no over presure signs i will grab a picture of the target tommorow though

not sure if im going to try to push them a lil faster but i may , my load data calls for 29.1 as the max but with 0 presure signs at 29g i may bump it up a few tenths very slowly

all 3 sets were loaded to 2.250
    Last edited by mel; 02-08-2020, 12:10 AM.
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

I saw some good results with PPV at moderate temps, but I saw a really big pressure spike (gained 200 fps) going from 80 to 90 degrees.

Here's a link to a thread on that powder: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-Results/page3

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by mel View Post
      using this powder cause i couldnt get my hands on any 8208

but did my first loads today and they look very promising

first up was hornaday brass , cci #400 primers 123g eld-m bullets 28g of power pro
      this got me 2410fps out of my 20 inch barrel shot this group

second load of 5 was
      hornaday brass , cci #400 primers 123g eld-m bullets 28.6g of power pro
      this got me 2513fps out of my 20 inch barrel shot this group

just shot this group over the top of the other group above

third load was
      hornaday brass , cci #400 primers 123g eld-m bullets 29g of power pro
      this got me 2600fps out of my 20 inch barrel
      i unfortunatly forgot to take a pic of the target but it shot just as good as the second load , and no over presure signs i will grab a picture of the target tommorow though

not sure if im going to try to push them a lil faster but i may , my load data calls for 29.1 as the max but with 0 presure signs at 29g i may bump it up a few tenths very slowly

all 3 sets were loaded to 2.250
      If your looking for pressure signs on the brass your going to find it after your in trouble.

I would back your load down, looks like your already over max. 2600 fps is 24 inch velocity's. In fact you look close to sammi max at 28.6 grains.

What did the pressure ladder look like?

I'm with drillboss. Varmint will spike when you get close to the 85 degree are higher mark this summer.

Comment

• mel
        Chieftain
        • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Drillboss View Post
        I saw some good results with PPV at moderate temps, but I saw a really big pressure spike (gained 200 fps) going from 80 to 90 degrees.

Here's a link to a thread on that powder: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-Results/page3
        thanks ill keep an eye on it when it starts to warm up , right now its 40* out ,but in the summer it will get to 100+ here so ill check the loads with every 10* temp rise when it starts to warm up

Comment

• mel
          Chieftain
          • Nov 2019

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
          If your looking for pressure signs on the brass your going to find it after your in trouble.

I would back your load down, looks like your already over max. 2600 fps is 24 inch velocity's. In fact you look close to sammi max at 28.6 grains.

What did the pressure ladder look like?

I'm with drillboss. Varmint will spike when you get close to the 85 degree are higher mark this summer.
          factory hornaday black eld-m chrono'ed slightly over 2600fps out of my gun , everyone of of the 4895 loads ive tried have shot about 100-125fps over expected velocity's , same with hornaday sst's and one other box of factory ammo ive tried
          could be because im 6,000 ft above sea level maybe ?

didnt do a ladder test just loaded up the 3 different charge weights to try

i am pretty dang happy with the 28.6 load i can play with a few tenths down from there and see what it does maybe see what 28.3 does since i know 28.0 isnt as accurate
          im also .010 under data's oal so i can move that to 2.260 and see what that does
          Last edited by mel; 12-25-2019, 12:51 AM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

factory hornaday black eld-m chrono'ed slightly over 2600fps out of my gun , everyone of of the 4895 loads ive tried have shot about 100-125fps over expected velocity's , same with hornaday sst's and one other box of factory ammo ive tried
            could be because im 6,000 ft above sea level maybe ?

didnt do a ladder test just loaded up the 3 different charge weights to try

i am pretty dang happy with the 28.6 load i can play with a few tenths down from there and see what it does maybe see what 28.3 does since i know 28.0 isnt as accurate
            im also .010 under data's oal so i can move that to 2.260 and see what that does
            Not sure. Something ain't sounding right. You sure your chrongraph is working correctly?

All of those speeds are way out of line of what's typical for a 20 inch barrel.

Comment

• mel
              Chieftain
              • Nov 2019

Not sure. Something ain't sounding right. You sure your chrongraph is working correctly?

All of those speeds are way out of line of what's typical for a 20 inch barrel.
              its brand new ive run my 9mm sig vcrown +p out of my glock 19 threw it and it was what was expected fps wise , also did some h4350 loads for my creedmoor today load data says 42.5g with 123g bullet should get me 2800fps and it chronoed at 2850 for an average and the fastest round was at 2873 . so i would imagine it's accurate

i can borrow a magneto speed to also try and see if im still getting the same readings

one thing i just though of is ive set up all the balistics data in my atn scope including bullet speed and so far the ballistics calcs in the scope have been accurate out to 1150 yards so im thinking if my chrono was that far off id know at that range

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

its brand new ive run my 9mm sig vcrown +p out of my glock 19 threw it and it was what was expected fps wise , also did some h4350 loads for my creedmoor today load data says 42.5g with 123g bullet should get me 2800fps and it chronoed at 2850 for an average and the fastest round was at 2873 . so i would imagine it's accurate

i can borrow a magneto speed to also try and see if im still getting the same readings

one thing i just though of is ive set up all the balistics data in my atn scope including bullet speed and so far the ballistics calcs in the scope have been accurate out to 1150 yards so im thinking if my chrono was that far off id know at that range
                What was the length to contact of lands for your handloads? What's the jump?

Just to rule out jamming and short throat.

Not saying your loads aren't safe in your rifle. Just they aren't inline with typically seen velocity's for that length barrel with any ammo, factory are handloads.

Comment

• mel
                  Chieftain
                  • Nov 2019

What was the length to contact of lands for your handloads? What's the jump?

Just to rule out jamming and short throat.

Not saying your loads aren't safe in your rifle. Just they aren't inline with typically seen velocity's for that length barrel with any ammo, factory are handloads.
                  i actually havent checked, i just went with the same c.o.a.l as the hornaday black eld-s ive been shooting since i knew they worked great in my rifle . ill actually check tomorrow though

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

i actually havent checked, i just went with the same c.o.a.l as the hornaday black eld-s ive been shooting since i knew they worked great in my rifle . ill actually check tomorrow though
                    Yea always best to know the contact and jump lengths.

Comment

• mel
                      Chieftain
                      • Nov 2019

thanks , ill post up when i check tommorow ill take some pics of the brass and stuff while im at it , had i brought it all home id do it now but decided to leave everything at work locked up since i knew id be back there tommorow to shoot with my boss and work up some loads for his rifle

Comment

• muvef
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2017

As stated above PPV is very temp sensitive. I back down my loads to 28.4 when the temperature is in the high 80's. Keep in mind your velocities will drop off in colder weather as well. I use 8208 for my hunting load because of this.

PPV gives me the best velocity and excellent accuracy out of my Grendel's. It's my go to powder for target shooting. If you are having success with PPV, try TAC if you can. I'm getting similar results with it.

Comment

• Redraider
                          Warrior
                          • May 2012

That amount of higher than expected velocity sounds alot like the Liberty barrels that were short, and everyone was getting a "fast" barrel. Be careful!!

Redraider

Comment

• mel
                            Chieftain
                            • Nov 2019

in a lil while im going to load up some more at 28.6 and some 28.3 and re chrono those , ill also take some measurements and see whats up

if something was wrong wouldnt accuracy suffer ? im still fairly new to reloading so need to learn what i can , ive mostly only ever loaded for 5.56 .243 and a few pistol calibers

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

in a lil while im going to load up some more at 28.6 and some 28.3 and re chrono those , ill also take some measurements and see whats up

if something was wrong wouldnt accuracy suffer ? im still fairly new to reloading so need to learn what i can , ive mostly only ever loaded for 5.56 .243 and a few pistol calibers
                              It could but I have seen a few rifles where the bullet was kissing and are jammed in the lands that shot amazing groups.

They also made faster speeds then what was typical for that barrel length and bullet weight.

Not saying that's what's happening with your rifle but always good to get the measurement and know for sure that it's not that.

Comment

Working...
                              X