• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpha0815
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2019

Accurate factory loads to try

Just finished putting my first Grendel together with 18? X-Caliber barrel. Need some factory loads to try. Going with FGMM 130 Berger and Hornady 123 ELD-M to start. Has anyone tried the AA offerings like 123 Lapua Scenar?
  • Rosecrans1
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

The two factory ammo names you mentioned are as good as it gets with my two Grendels. The AA's are expensive even compared to the Federal Premium Bergers.
    If you wanted to try a few more, look at the Federal Fusions & American Eagles and the Hornaday HPBT's.
    If buying online, get them all at one place and shipped at one time to save some bucks on shipping. If you can buy them all locally, I wish I lived where you do!
    Good Luck!

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Anything loaded and sold by PF is going to be accurate but the price is higher then most factory ammo.

Comment

• alpha0815
        Unwashed
        • Jun 2019

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
        Anything loaded and sold by PF is going to be accurate but the price is higher then most factory ammo.
        Had no idea PF offered ammo. Think they are actually loading it in house? I've used Copper Creek in the past with great results. They weren't necessarily more accurate than FGMM or Hornady, but they were more consistent. The PF offerings are more expensive than Copper Creek.

I tend to try off the shelf ammo first as I can get Federal and Hornady a mile from my house.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by alpha0815 View Post
          Had no idea PF offered ammo. Think they are actually loading it in house? I've used Copper Creek in the past with great results. They weren't necessarily more accurate than FGMM or Hornady, but they were more consistent. The PF offerings are more expensive than Copper Creek.

I tend to try off the shelf ammo first as I can get Federal and Hornady a mile from my house.
          Yea they load in house. Comes in 50 round box's not 20 rounds.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

I've had amazing accuracy from the Precision Firearms loads in multiple rifles.

My first Grendel was an AA 16" barrel/bolt combo at its heart that I built, and PF 123gr Scenar was the most accurate load in it compared to any of the others.

PF 123gr SMK and 20" Bartlein-barreled PF upper shot some wicked-tight groups with high round count in them.

We're talking at least 8rd groups into bugholes.

With all the quality barrels I've tested though, every factory load shot extremely well, including Hornady 123gr A-MAX and SST made 5-10 years ago.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• FLshooter
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2019

The only 6.5 Grendel factory ammo I ever tried was Hornady Black 123g ELDM.I got 200 rounds of it when I purchased my first 6.5 Grendel upper.Good factory ammo.Accurate.Not quite as accurate as my 123g ELDM hand loads.But if you do not reload,it is the ticket.
              Now,I agree w/the post above,SMK are great!I got great groups with the 120g SMK.But,I can never get a bulk deal on them.ELD run $130/500 shipped.Cannot beat that!

Comment

Working...
              X