• Jun 2019

NoGo side...

NOGO.JPG

Comment

• Lemonaid
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2019

Thanks six.five, good info!
        I'll likely end up getting that tool or make something like it on the lathe.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Yes, thank for that.

I've measured the diameter of a few 450's and BR4's. They both have the same diameter. This appears to be the average of what the popular primer chart suggests. 450's are supposed to be narrower than the BR4's. Maybe they are designed to splay differently.

In perspective;
          .17350 for GO
          .17525 for primers
          .17565 TOO WIDE

Comment

• FRB6.5
            Warrior
            • Oct 2018

For small primers the other thing it assists measuring is the depth of the pocket, 0.1215" is the maximum

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by FRB6.5 View Post
              For small primers the other thing it assists measuring is the depth of the pocket, 0.1215" is the maximum
              That's fine, however primer pocket depth is not really an issue is it? Almost a solution looking for a problem.

In my experience I have never come across a pocket that was too shallow. Plenty of proud primers however, mostly when loading progressive handgun rounds from churning them out 200/hr. It's always not pushed far enough in and never because the pocket is too shallow. I have an old baking tray that I use to check for proud primers. Upturn a 100rd ammo box so they sit in the tray and tap the tray gently. Any primers that are proud of the base, tapping causes the round to wobble. Carefully pick them out and hand crimp to finish.

With rifle rounds using the single stage press proud primers get noticed long before seating.

That tool looks great, but it's almost an indulgence.
              Last edited by Klem; 10-21-2019, 05:27 AM.

Comment

• FLshooter
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

A gun club acquaintance showed me the same Ballistics tools go/no gauges for primer pockets as Klem posted.They are pretty cheap.Brownells sells the set for around $25.
                This guy also had a primer pocket tightening tool that was made by hart tools. It was a metal base with a long stem on it .Fit down the center of the case ,same principle as the bolt the guy uses in the video. And then had another piece you hit with a hammer .The reason I never pursued it because that tool was no longer available.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2018

brass is the vessel that contains the powder charge. It is a consume-able part. It wears and occasionally needs replacement.

Some brass is harder then others. Some brass is better quality than others.

When brass stretches to create loose pockets its because its withstood pressures when fired PERIOD. SOFTER BRASS changes faster then harder brass. But harder brass cracks first. There is a happy medium thats sometimes not easily found.

We dont have crappy brass now. We have a industry that is more concerned with. Numbers and profit and less concerned with quality.

When brass grows I trim it. When its trimmed a few times usually a ring is noticed. When that ring is obvious I toss the brass.

When I seat a primer and I notice the primer is loose I decide do I mark it and shoot one last time or do I toss it then and there. Either way its toast and goes in recycle bucket.

What he has done is move brass to the pocket opening by swaging. Its probably not dangerous and will surely hold the primer better. But the pocket is not ?repaired? At best its a bandaid.

Its your gun and brass do as you fell is correct. Just take the time to LEARN whats happening and dont just take it as gospel. Things happen for reasons and brass is fodder.

CW

Comment

Working...
                  X