• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lemonaid
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

Primer Pocket Repair

Check out the video above on how to repair loose primer pockets and post your take on it.
    Good idea? bad idea? pitfalls?
    Other methods of primer pocket repairs?

I've got some brass that looks great except for loose primer pocket. I'm going to give it a try!
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Nope that's a negative ghost rider the pattern is full.

I think I will just file mine in the trash can when they finally get to loose.

Comment

• Pwrbomb1970
      Bloodstained
      • Apr 2019

^^^^^^ what he said

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
        Warrior
        • Nov 2018

Omg, worse than a gun store counter conversation. Talk, talk, talk.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Interesting...

After listening to the guy's life story it looks like the same action as the Lyman Primer Pocket Swager. The Lyman swager is designed to remove the pesky primer pocket crimps found on military brass.

I have this swager and have just tried it on some loose 6.5*47 pockets. Looks like it works! Lemonaid, you've just saved me some dollars....Thank you Sir!

Comment

• Lemonaid
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Klem View Post
            Interesting...

After listening to the guy's life story it looks like the same action as the Lyman Primer Pocket Swager. The Lyman swager is designed to remove the pesky primer pocket crimps found on military brass.

I have this swager and have just tried it on some loose 6.5*47 pockets. Looks like it works! Lemonaid, you've just saved me some dollars....Thank you Sir!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14807[/ATTACH]
            Klem, please give us a bit more info on what you did. As Primer pocket swagers are designed to make a pocket that is small to a larger easier to prime size did you use the large primer pocket swager on a small primer pocket?
            If the link I found by chance (I was watching a video on primers by Bolt Rifle Reloading) helps its a small bit of payback to the great forum posters (like Klem).

One thing comes to mind is to keep an eye on case head expansion as it is associated with primer pocket enlargement.
            I wonder if there is a fix for that as well.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
              Klem, please give us a bit more info on what you did. As Primer pocket swagers are designed to make a pocket that is small to a larger easier to prime size did you use the large primer pocket swager on a small primer pocket?
              If the link I found by chance (I was watching a video on primers by Bolt Rifle Reloading) helps its a small bit of payback to the great forum posters (like Klem).

One thing comes to mind is to keep an eye on case head expansion as it is associated with primer pocket enlargement.
              I wonder if there is a fix for that as well.
              I did try using the large primer instead of the small primer 'spud' and there was no difference, both squashed the primer pocket slightly narrower.

I need to correct the manufacturer...It's actually an RCBS product, not Lyman. I keep the swager in a spare Lyman die box but Its' been a while since I used it so I wasn't thinking, apologies.

It's the RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Tool. Here's a Youtube video on how it works.

The spud doesn't go all the way into a pocket so it doesn't open-up the pocket. It's larger than the pocket and designed to swage the mouth of a pocket only. As you lean on the handle it crushes the surrounding brass into the pocket slightly, just enough to get you that nice primer seating feel again.

With the 6.5*47 cases I reload them until the primer seats without any resistance. I figure that's the end of its life. I run a black marker pen around the case so I know to discard it after it has been fired.

Head expansion is a different kettle of fish. This becomes a problem when I can't slide the case into the case holder or it's hard to get in. It then goes into the drill press and spun on high speed while I hold a fine file again the web. Once its shaved back to spec its back in business. I can fix bulged webs/head expansion but until now, not loose primer pockets.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                Chieftain
                • May 2012

that method is only pinning down the very edge of the pocket it will hold the primer better but isn't really an ideal fix, i have played around with tighening pockets when making steel cased reloadable grendel cases from 7.62 cases using a 22lr case swedged into the pocket to fit lr boxer primers
                Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 1.48.17 AM.png
                it was far more an experiment of is it possible than a practical endeavor
                Attached Files
                Last edited by mongoosesnipe; 10-19-2019, 05:48 AM.
                Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• FRB6.5
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2018

One suggestion for anyone doing this with a swaging die, separate your brass by manufacturer, which is best practice even when using these for their intended purposes. You will find you have to adjust the swage rod depth for differing case head thicknesses.

Comment

• Lemonaid
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2019

The video's method using pin gauges seems to be a great way to tell what cases are over large/loose from good ones. I now have a another reason to get a set of pin gauges

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by FRB6.5 View Post
                      One suggestion for anyone doing this with a swaging die, separate your brass by manufacturer, which is best practice even when using these for their intended purposes. You will find you have to adjust the swage rod depth for differing case head thicknesses.
                      If you are talking about the RCBS Primer Pocker Swagng Die in my posts then there's no need to do this because it won't make a difference. I am not bringing the ram up to a critical point. The handle doesn't even go the full stroke like with normal dies. It goes about half way and comes up against the spud. I lean into it a very carefully measured amount, and a bit more...Voila!.

As for not being a perfect method of narrowing the primer pocket...If anyone has a better way I'm all ears. If it gets me one or two more loads out of an expensive Lapua case, bonus.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2012

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                        If you are talking about the RCBS Primer Pocker Swagng Die in my posts then there's no need to do this because it won't make a difference. I am not bringing the ram up to a critical point. The handle doesn't even go the full stroke like with normal dies. It goes about half way and comes up against the spud. I lean into it a very carefully measured amount, and a bit more...Voila!.

As for not being a perfect method of narrowing the primer pocket...If anyone has a better way I'm all ears. If it gets me one or two more loads out of an expensive Lapua case, bonus.
                        you can also just seal the primer in with primer sealer or nail polish
                        Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Klem
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

I have seen nail varnish used for waterproofing cartridges for a Bang (shark) stick.

Hadn't considered whether it stops loose primers coming out on being bashed around. With loose seating I tap the base on a bench (on an angle) to see if they move and if not they get the black mark of death and shot one last time.
                          Last edited by Klem; 10-20-2019, 12:30 AM. Reason: Varnish, not polish

Comment

• FRB6.5
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2018

Pretty sure I've mentioned these before:

Pin gauges are handy to have around but they are not the only measurement needed with primer pockets.

Comment

• Klem
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by FRB6.5 View Post
                              Pretty sure I've mentioned these before:

Pin gauges are handy to have around but they are not the only measurement needed with primer pockets.
                              Interesting...pity they don't list the all-important diameters of 'GO' and 'NO GO" in the specs. Do you have them?

Comment

Working...
                              X