• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Viper
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2017

Best bullet for AR Grendel?

Hi everyone,
    I am from Italy, my Grendel is assembled with a 20" Faxxon heavy barrel. After some initial reloading work, I have stopped shooting the Grendel for months, due to lack of time mainly, but I gave priority to shooting with handguns to partecipate some competition for former service handguns with my beloved 1911 Kongsberg.
    Back to business, I have to purchase some bullets and I would like to go for the best ones to be used in my AR, target range is 100/400 meters (that's what ranges within a reasonable distance have).
    I have Lapua brass, and mostly using Vihtavuori powders, Federal Match primers
  • Jimla
    Warrior
    • Dec 2018

My 20" Faxxon will shoot everything I tried, with three different powders. Vihtavuori powders not available in my location, but 20" Faxxon seem to like everthings.

My range results(90gr TNT, 123 Eldm, 123 sst, 120 :Gold Dot):

Upper: AT3Tactical AT3™ FF-ML 20 Inch 6.5 Grendel Complete Upper https://www.at3tactical.com/products/at3-ff-ml-20-inch-6-5-grendel-complete-upper-6-5-grendel-type-ii-20-inch-faxon-firearms-barrel-15-inch-m-lok-free-float-handguard It has: a) Faxon Firearms Match Series – 20 inch Heavy Fluted Barrel – 6.5 Grendel – 5R –

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Viper View Post
      Hi everyone,
      I am from Italy, my Grendel is assembled with a 20" Faxxon heavy barrel. After some initial reloading work, I have stopped shooting the Grendel for months, due to lack of time mainly, but I gave priority to shooting with handguns to partecipate some competition for former service handguns with my beloved 1911 Kongsberg.
      Back to business, I have to purchase some bullets and I would like to go for the best ones to be used in my AR, target range is 100/400 meters (that's what ranges within a reasonable distance have).
      I have Lapua brass, and mostly using Vihtavuori powders, Federal Match primers
      120 Sierra Match King.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
        120 Sierra Match King.
        What he daid. Are maybe a target bullet like the eld-m in the 100 grain range.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

In Italy you might be more apt to find Lapua bullets. The Lapua 123 grain Scenar and the 108 grain Scenar get very good reviews. These are target bullets and probably not a good hunting bullet.

Comment

• Viper
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
            In Italy you might be more apt to find Lapua bullets. The Lapua 123 grain Scenar and the 108 grain Scenar get very good reviews. These are target bullets and probably not a good hunting bullet.
            I can easily find Sierra, Lapua, Nosler, Hornady, Barnes and Berger also available, but pricey.

BERGER 6.5MM 130GR AR HYBRID OTM TACTICAL are available, I've heard positive feedbacks, but these are 50% more expensive than the average price of the ones above. Are they worthy?
            Last edited by Viper; 10-14-2019, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• outbreaker
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

Hunting 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip
              Targer 123gr SMK

Funny thing is they have the same point of impact for the same loads in my rifles.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

For the European market and the distances you're talking about, the Lapua 120gr Scenar-L will probably be the ideal bullet for your needs.

The 108gr Scenar is another one to look at that will have less recoil, but has the same form factor as the 123gr Scenar.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• FLshooter
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2019

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                  120 Sierra Match King.
                  Can’t argue with that choice.Both my Grendel AR15 love the 120 Sierra MK.If a barrel doesn’t shoot well with Sierra MK,you have a problem.Every barrel I own in every caliber and style loves Sierra MK bullets.
                  For my Grendel I also use Hornady 123 grain ELD match.Shoots almost as well as the Sierra match King’s .but I can get a better bulk deal with the Hornady is why I go for them.

Comment

• Scrape hunter
                    Bloodstained
                    • Aug 2019

Would love to see sierra come out with a 100 grain game changer ....

Comment

Working...
                    X