• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwtx
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Re using pulled bullets and cases

I recently switched powders and have about 40 rounds loaded with the previously used powder. I am pulling the bullets with a RCBS collet puller. They had been crimped lightly with a FCD die, but look fine, just kinda shiny where they were in the neck. I don't see any problem using them, but I was wondering about the cases/primers.
    The neck tension is slightly reduced, at least I would think so. But I'm thinking they should be ok since I use the FCD die. Just looking for "comforting" opinions, or warnings. Thanks in advance, Gary
    When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

I've bullet-pulled and re-used before without issue. If you give them another crimp you probably end up with the same neck tension

Comment

• Popeye212
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2018

I resize them and reload.

Comment

• Gusmeister
        Warrior
        • May 2017

I have pulled and shot a bunch of jacketed rifle bullets over the years. Can't say there is no loss in accuracy but nothing has been noticed. But reusing the case thing has been different. The 6.5 Grendel has always given me excellent neck tension. So reloading the case without resizing is reasonable. However (for example).... the 300 BLK has, at best, marginal neck tension. With the BLK I would always fully resize the neck after pulling the bullet and make sure all lube is removed.

Especially in AR's, I would let neck tension be my guide.

Comment

• gwtx
          Warrior
          • Feb 2019

Thanks for the replies. I have some that I pulled the bullets, re poured powder, & ran the FCD die on them. I will shoot a few and see how they do. I don't need .5 accuracy as I am only shooting hogs, usually 100 yds or less. The primers aren't that expensive, and it's not all that much trouble to re size, so if they don't do well I'll do that. I have a thermal scope on the rifle and so the "bulls eye" is not "pin point", but rather a 2" blob. I zero at 60 yds , so they should all be touching, and usually are. That's good nuff for what I do. Thanks again for the help. Gary
          When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• 1Shot
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

You don't have to remover the primer to size the case. Just back the decapping rod out enough in your sizing die to not push the primer out but still allow the sizing bushing to work. As long as you don't really damage the bullet by putting too much grip on the bullet and damaging it accuracy is not effected much if any. I have shot lots of pulled bullets. Way back when I first started using a 25-06 I was using 117 Hornady bullets and was having deer go about 50 or so yards after taking a vitals shot but my buddy was using 117 Sierra's and 99% of the time his deer with the same shot placement as mine were dropping in their tracks. As I was 300 miles from home staying with my hunting buddy I loaded up a few rounds using his equipment, powder and bullets to see if my powder load would shoot as good with the 117 Sierra as the Hornady did. They shot to the same POI and I shot three deer in the next couple days and all dropped in their tracks. I drove a little over an hour one way to purchase some or the Sierra bullets the next Sunday. I had about 45 rounds loaded with the Hornady bullets so I pulled them all poured the powder out of the cases resized the cases as mentioned above replaced the powder and put the Sierra bullets in. A couple years latter I had a cousin that got a 257 Roberts rifle and I gave him the pulled 117 Hornady bullets to use and they shot as good as new ones did.

Comment

• gwtx
              Warrior
              • Feb 2019

Thanks 1shot. I hadn't thought about resizing yet. I'll wait to see how these shoot with just re crimping with FCD die. Thanks for pointing that out. That also reminded me, I need to get my 25-06 out and shoot it. So much to do, so little time

Comment

Working...
              X