• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rosecrans1
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Federal Premium AR Hybrid OTM 130gr and a RAP

After having my RAP a part, switched from one factory stock and bottom part to another, epoxied the fore-end to firm it up, adjusted the trigger, added a cheek piece and switched my mags to 5 rounds ASC's, I grabbed some of my Gold Dot reloads and some factory offerings I bought some time ago and headed to the range to see if we were still on the paper.
    The epoxy puddy in the honeycombs of the Ruger stock really gave the stock a lot of firmness and took a lot of the cheap feel out of it. The rifle was firing dead on. Didn't need to change the scope settings at all. The four Gold Dots loadings were all between 0.8" to 1" MOA. I had these shooting a bit better before the modifications so I wondered if I made a mistake until I shot a three shot 100 yard group of the Federal Premium Berger Hybrid OTM 130 gr factory loads. Wow! These were just under 0.25" MOA. A second three shot group at 200 yards were just over a half inch MOA.
    FedBergergroup_small.JPG

It even shot the Federal Fusions I bought and hated at just under MOA.
    I just need to concentrate on my Gold Dots for hunting season coming up but I am shocked at how those Federal/Berger Premiums did. I'm going to order some of the bullets and experiment with them in both rifles next. (Some data using CFE223 on here but not much else). I don't like using anything over 123 gr in Grendel but these 130gr Bergers have me thinking differently. Anyone using these in the hunting variety?
  • Lemonaid
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

Rosecrans1, that group is sweet! Congrats!
    I've thought about using a take off stock from a Ruger model 77 and modding so my RAP would work in it. It has the flat forearm and is heavier and stiffer (made of the laminate wood) and would be more suited for the bench shooting I mostly do.
    But it shoots so well as is! Might be a winter project.
    I've got sub moa with Sierra 120 MK, Speer 120 Gold dots, Sierra 120 pro hunter and even a close to 1/2 inch group with the Speer 140 hot core.
    The RAP rocks!
    Last edited by Lemonaid; 10-11-2019, 06:15 AM. Reason: mistake

Comment

• Javman
      Warrior
      • Jan 2016

Can't argue with that type of grouping from factory ammo.

Comment

• BobinNC
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

Nosler has load data for 130 grain bullets, but not for the 130 Berger of course. But it should give you a starting point.:

It's my understanding that Berger will share their loading data, if they have any for the Grendel. Just give them a call or e-mail.

Explore the world of Nosler, renowned for crafting the finest bullets, ammunition, rifles, and brass. Discover our extensive lineup, including Partition, AccuBond, E-Tip, Ballistic Tip, Custom Competition, and more. Experience superior quality and performance with Nosler products.

There are some YouTube videos that you might find useful:

The first one is Long Range Hunting with the 130 Grain Berger OTM. Yes, it is being used in a 6.5 Creedmore, but it will give you a hint of the 130 grain Berger's performance might be on game at closer ranges in the Grendel due to the difference in starting velocity.

The next one is on the Berger's 135 Grain Classic Hunter in the 6.5 Grendel which may also prove useful:

Comment

• Rosecrans1
          Warrior
          • Feb 2019

Thanks for the comments guys!
          Bob.thanks for the links. I'll go over them tonight. Just back from camp for the weekend. Baseball, football oh and I think some guys actually hunted!
          The only successful hunters in our woods are ticks lately! I don't like being the prey!

Comment

• Fess
            Warrior
            • Jun 2019

Do the Berger bullets seem to have a minimum required velocity to fragment reliably? (kinda like M193 or M855)

Comment

• kmon
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2015

Not sure how they preform on game but the 130gr OTM sure shoot well in my rifles. I have loaded Lapua brass with CFE 223 and standard Winchester primers. Mostly shot them in my CZ semi Custom but from it they shot as small as .3 at 100 yards 30 to30.6 all shot very well from it and under half MOA. from my AR they shot .75 inch group at 100 but I have never had it consistently below MOA with any loads over the years, some groups yes some no but these were there except a called oops on me.

Comment

Working...
              X