X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitdr774
    Warrior
    • Jul 2019

I have other powders to play with. I am just looking at all options. AR-Comp, 2000 MR, IMR 3031, 8208 XBR, CFE 223, LVR, PP Varmint, TAC, 2520, ect are all on hand to play with, plus a whole lot more that will probably not work well. The AR-Comp/100gr NBT load I tried out today did well, but I ran out of time to play before the weather hit.

I am "listening", but seeing nothing that would suggest its unsafe I figured I would try it out. Im not currently using the powder in anything else and already had it on hand.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Mitdr774 View Post
      I have other powders to play with. I am just looking at all options. AR-Comp, 2000 MR, IMR 3031, 8208 XBR, CFE 223, LVR, PP Varmint, TAC, 2520, ect are all on hand to play with, plus a whole lot more that will probably not work well. The AR-Comp/100gr NBT load I tried out today did well, but I ran out of time to play before the weather hit.

I am "listening", but seeing nothing that would suggest its unsafe I figured I would try it out. Im not currently using the powder in anything else and already had it on hand.
      Start low, work up in .2 tenth increments over the chronagrah, you will be safe, probably slow and causing feed issues because it will be hitting the gas tube hard with pressure curve.

You can try any powder you want with this method, or safe the trouble and time and listen too members.

Me I'm stubborn I like to test things. That's why I have the only grendel rifle in the world that has high cap pmags.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
        Chieftain
        • Oct 2016

RL 17 is reported to be really hard-carbon dirty in Creedmoor. I've heard guys that I trust commenting on how it leaves a pretty persistent and problematic carbon ring. I wonder if that's because of the slower burn and long throat common in the Creed?
        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Jimla
          Warrior
          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
          RL 17 is reported to be really hard-carbon dirty in Creedmoor. I've heard guys that I trust commenting on how it leaves a pretty persistent and problematic carbon ring. I wonder if that's because of the slower burn and long throat common in the Creed?
          I don't see carbon problem in my 7mm-08 bolt(similar to Creedmoor), I see more copper buildup problems. My accuracy load near max velocity 98-99%.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

I've used RL17 in a 30" 223 barrel to push the heaviest bullets; 90gn Bergers. Haven't used it for anything else. It is a slower powder than typical used on this forum, more suited for larger cases and/or long barrels.

Comment

• FW Conch
              Warrior
              • Nov 2014

Another thing to consider with a full case of RL 17 is temperature sensitivity. In the small/full Grendel case, this could be an issue. Do a search, and we find this is not uncommon with RL 17. I have overcome such issues in the past buy keeping my loads in a cooler until ready to use, but many shooters don't want to go to this trouble. With so many good powders to choose from for the Grendel, I don't see the need. Personally, I would limit experimentation with RL 17 to bolt rifles, and listen closely to the vast experience on this site

Comment

• Mitdr774
                Warrior
                • Jul 2019

I am limiting experimenting to bolt guns since both my Grendels are bolt guns. The Howa has a 22" barrel and the CZ has a 24" barrel.

I like to try different things, especially when the predicted outcome looks really good. Seeing as how nobody suggested a safety issue being the reasons the powder isn't used it was worth a try.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                  I haven't noticed that in my Creed, but haven't been looking for it much either...
                  I use it from time to time but normally I go for the more temp-tolerant powders.
                  Nice powder in the Creed though.
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Bearcatrp
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2018

When I had my 6.5 creedmoor and could not find H4350, tried RL17. Worked good. Once I found H4350, worked up loads with both powders and found it to work better than H4350. Currently have loads with RL17 with 200 gr Hornady ELD-X bullets for my 308.

Comment

• FW Conch
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2014

Yep. RL 17 works well in my 260 Rem, for velocity, but is not as accurate as H4350 for me. As long as I don't work up in the winter and shoot today

Comment

• Jimla
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2018

H4350 is never available for me to try while RL-17 is always available, temperature sensitivity is not a real problem in my location, typical is 75-85 degrees year round.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                          Chieftain
                          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Jimla View Post
                          H4350 is never available for me to try while RL-17 is always available, temperature sensitivity is not a real problem in my location, typical is 75-85 degrees year round.
                          My mom always told me not to brag.

Haha.
                          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• BD264
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jun 2017

Rl17 is my go to powder for my 6.5x55.

Comment

Working...
                            X