• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lemonaid
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

Sierra 130 Game Changer and CFE 223

Chronograph and brass showed that these loads are way too hot in my gun (BCA 24 inch complete gun).
    I thought (I know, that's what I get for thinking!) using the Nosler load data for the 129 ABLR (29.0 to 31.0 max) that I would be under pressure. Wrong!

Thought I would pass on the info.

*note max velocity = 2450 with PPV 28.5 grains (Sierra load data)

100 fps over max!

Hornady brass, CCI 450 primer, CFE 223 29.5 and 30.0 grains, 2.290. Temp 65 degrees.

Sierra 130 Game Changer, CFE 223 30 gr. 2.290“ oal Note ejector swipe burr
    Velocity 2583, 2544, 2523, 2509 standard Deviation, s: 32 ES=74
    ave=2539.75

Sierra 130 Game Changer, CFE 223, 29.5 gr. 2.290 oal Note ejector swipe, no burr
    Velocity 2521, 2495, 2497, 2499 Standard Deviation, s: 5.2 ES=26
    ave=2503

I'll be using the Chronograph a LOT more from now on!
    Last edited by Lemonaid; 06-14-2019, 10:52 AM. Reason: left out info
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

I'm confused. I'm not aware of a velocity max. The velocity printed in the manuals is a reference to show what the testers were seeing in their barrel with loads at the start and end of their testing spread. It's not uncommon at all to achieve velocities over and above the max velocity listed at the max charge in the manuals. The max charge listed was what they found when they tested their chamber and ammunition combo, on a particular day, under particular conditions. The listed max is what the publisher believes will be safe for any barrel in which their load data is used to begin testing with.

Also, (this has always been my assumption, anyone that knows better is welcome and encouraged to correct my thinking - I know opinions and a-wholes...) the listed max is probably in reality 10-20% under the actual max load UNLESS pressure data is listed with that charge. This is due to our overwhelming sense of inherent superiority. Since we all believe we know better anyway, we're going to push the max a bit right? Leaving the impression that the max is lower than it actually is reduces the likelyhood of bubba pushing his luck one charge weight too far...
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

I would start at 26.0gr with CFE223 under the 130gr Game Changer and load up in .3gr increments with ladders.

I wouldn't go much over 30.4gr in my load range, but I haven't worked with that bullet. This is just my thinking on how I would approach it.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Lemonaid
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
        I'm confused. I'm not aware of a velocity max. The velocity printed in the manuals is a reference to show what the testers were seeing in their barrel with loads at the start and end of their testing spread. It's not uncommon at all to achieve velocities over and above the max velocity listed at the max charge in the manuals. The max charge listed was what they found when they tested their chamber and ammunition combo, on a particular day, under particular conditions. The listed max is what the publisher believes will be safe for any barrel in which their load data is used to begin testing with.

Also, (this has always been my assumption, anyone that knows better is welcome and encouraged to correct my thinking - I know opinions and a-wholes...) the listed max is probably in reality 10-20% under the actual max load UNLESS pressure data is listed with that charge. This is due to our overwhelming sense of inherent superiority. Since we all believe we know better anyway, we're going to push the max a bit right? Leaving the impression that the max is lower than it actually is reduces the likelyhood of bubba pushing his luck one charge weight too far...
        I really don't even want to get close to max. I'm happy with a consistent accurate load with velocity in the mid range of published loads.
        There isn't a velocity max, it's a speed limit! (not just a good idea, it's the law)
        But seriously, the 2450 f.p.s. Sierra load was the highest velocity published load (that I have found) with a 130 grain in a 24 inch barrel.
        It was using Power pro varmint and PPV was giving highest velocities with a number of different bullets, CFE 223 most likely won't be able to safely match it for max velocity.
        Since I don't have a pressure testing setup, the best I can do is not go over the speed limit. Speed=Pressure. Over speed=Over pressure.
        I was the bubba (Not Bill Clinton) who inadvertently pressed his luck this time.

Comment

• Lemonaid
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          I would start at 26.0gr with CFE223 under the 130gr Game Changer and load up in .3gr increments with ladders.

I wouldn't go much over 30.4gr in my load range, but I haven't worked with that bullet. This is just my thinking on how I would approach it.
          Yes. Except that 28.0 of CFE 223 is as high as I would test in my Grendel. I had some good accuracy at 28.0 and if the velocity drops about 80 f.p.s. per grain that should get me about 2420.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

You can also look at LeveRevolution.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jbmarshtx
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              You can also look at LeveRevolution.
              I have the 2 books, and the 2nd has a few loads with LeveRevolution. I'm about to load up and shoot some loads in a bolt action with the Lapua 123s.

Is there a starting load recommendation or a very similar powder to the LeveRevolution to work up from?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by jbmarshtx View Post
                I have the 2 books, and the 2nd has a few loads with LeveRevolution. I'm about to load up and shoot some loads in a bolt action with the Lapua 123s.

Is there a starting load recommendation or a very similar powder to the LeveRevolution to work up from?
                I start at 29 grains in my howa and work up in .2 grain increments, 5 rounds at each charge.

Cfe223 in my howa works better with the 123 class bullets and leverevolution works better with the 127 and heavier bullets.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• jbmarshtx
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2017

Yep, that's a good starting point. I thought I might use the Berger 130s and still might, but I've got 500 of the 123 scenars that I figured on shooting through first.

Comment

• 1Shot
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2018

If you give LVR a try I would start no higher than 28 grs and go up at .2 grs at a time to be safe. I got some Sierra 130 GKHPs to try and looked up what the Grendel II load data had and I backed off to 29.5 grs and loaded 5 and then loaded 5 at 30 grs. From my 20" BCA barrel the 29.5 showed slight ejector marks and velocity was 2510 fps. I fired one of the 30 gr loads and it was WAY TOO HOT, big time ejector burr and velocity was 2553 fps. From this experience I would say that with a 20" barrel velocity with 130s much over 2400 fps you are getting in the max load area with any suitable powder. One of these days I will give the 130 Sierra HPs another try. I dropped them because I got some 120 Gold Dots and found the accuracy and velocity I was looking for to use in my deer hunting last year. I only got to shoot one deer with the 120 GD but it did a number on the deer.

Comment

Working...
                    X