• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • R2BRO
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Can i reload new cases right away?

If i buy new Lapua or Hornady or Starline brass, can i just go ahead prime and fill them?

Or i still need to size,trim,process pocket etc?

reason im asking is, if i measure them, they are in spec, and shoulder pushed back already.
  • FRB6.5
    Warrior
    • Oct 2018

In general yes. New brass typically only benefits from case mouth deburring. If necks are dented from bulk shipping they may need run over an expander.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

What I would do. straighten out the case mouth, inner chamfer of the mouth.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• ricsmall
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Yes, run through a neck die, or full length set to just size neck, and chamfer/deburr. The last batch of nosler 28 nosler brass I got were dented pretty good and needed chamfering.
        Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Labrat198
          Warrior
          • Nov 2018

I will typically drop each new piece into my case gauge to verify. If it doesn't drop in and out or if the mouth needs attention I'll run it through press, otherwise just a quick turn to debur.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
            Warrior
            • May 2017

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
            Yes, run through a neck die, or full length set to just size neck, and chamfer/deburr. The last batch of nosler 28 nosler brass I got were dented pretty good and needed chamfering.
            What he said.

Comment

• Popeye212
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2018

I size them you occasionally run into one that the neck isn't sized properly.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

I size the brass to make sure all necks are concentric, then chamfer the inside neck.

Comment

• SightedIn
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2016

At an absolute minimum run them through a neck die/expander ball. Chamfering inside the neck you should really do if you have the time

I once bought 100 Lapua 308 cases and loaded them right up. Lapuas the greatest brass ever made, right?
                  I had all sort of neck tension issues. I could feel it in about %15 of them while pressing the bullets in but i was a newbie and thought that may have been normal ( many years ago)
                  Those groups were all over, over 4 moa on some.
                  Pulled the rest, full sized all 100 of them, then was doing .7moa groups

Comment

• centerfire
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by SightedIn View Post
                    At an absolute minimum run them through a neck die/expander ball. Chamfering inside the neck you should really do if you have the time

I once bought 100 Lapua 308 cases and loaded them right up. Lapuas the greatest brass ever made, right?
                    I had all sort of neck tension issues. I could feel it in about %15 of them while pressing the bullets in but i was a newbie and thought that may have been normal ( many years ago)
                    Those groups were all over, over 4 moa on some.
                    Pulled the rest, full sized all 100 of them, then was doing .7moa groups
                    Some things never change. I mandrel neck sized new Lapua brass last night and about 10% had less tension than the rest.

Comment

• Djgrendel
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2016

I always run the necks thru. Maybe not needed in some instances, but that's the way I was taught. The thing I notice about reloading that is common among long time handloaders. Every step is checked. When you come apon an issue. It's easier to find the culprit when variables are kept to a minimum
                      Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                        Chieftain
                        • Oct 2016

I'm learning about neck tension and precision. Here's my two cents.

Buy good brass. Good brass.

Clean the flash hole and if you're inclined - chamfer the inside hole. Make sure they are centered in the flash hole. God knows why, but some get punched off center, which I think may make the powder column ignite inconsistently from the rest.

As centerfire mentions, mandrel the case necks. This will uniform the inside of the case neck, and if you're so inclined, will ready the case necks for turning.

Chamfer the inside of the case necks. Don't skip out here. Do it well, as seating your bullets is where the real magic happens.

Make sure your brass is all as uniform as possible. Neck tension and bullet seating consistency have much more to do with shooting small groups than powder charge weight and seating depth. If your bullets aren't all seated perfectly straight, how can you expect straight shooting ammo?

Most disregard this kind of prep as too much work. Which means most only see factory ammunition accuracy levels. It's okay, but the real fun begins by understanding and controlling more of your variables than the guy next to you.
                        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
                        X