110 gr. Lehigh Controlled Chaos, 31.5 gr CFE223 Where am I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doofus65
    Bloodstained
    • May 2017

110 gr. Lehigh Controlled Chaos, 31.5 gr CFE223 Where am I?

I'm shooting a 18" Satern stainless barrel. COL 2.250. I'm trying to build hunting rounds for my Grendel. I'm not going for F class accuracy here. I want to put down deer and pronghorn, but am not looking to blow myself up in the process.
    I've been working up from 27.5 gr. by .2 or .3 grain increments. I'm getting decent groups (around 1-2") at most stops, but I've been mostly looking at FPS and pressure signs more than accuracy.

My last group was 31.5 gr of cfe223. I'm averaging about 2550 fps. My previous group of 31.2 was averaging about 2520. No pressure signs. The Hornady ballistics page tells me that at this speed, a 110 gr lehigh bullet flies pretty flat out to 250 yards. That makes me pretty happy.

By comparison, from the same rifle I get about 2450 fps from Hornady AMAX and 2400 from Hornady SST hunting ammo using 123 gr bullets. Those killed antelope pretty dead; I'd like to be in that same realm of energy.

The Grendel reloading handbook V2 (hunting) has CFE223 being used to push 120 gr Barnes bullets out of a 20" barrel at 2450, so I'm thinking I might be near the limits.

My cases look pretty darn full but I don't feel resistance or hear powder crunching when I seat my bullets. Does anyone else consider 31.5 gr loads "compressed"?

Should I climb a couple more steps up the ladder or just start trying to dial in where I am?

All opinions appreciated.
  • 65GbySeven
    Warrior
    • Dec 2018

29.5 GR of RL15 with COAL 2.250 & CCI 400 Hornady Brass was the right recipe for me. .872” groups at 100 yards from my 12” PSA Grendel.

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

These are my results out of my 12". Disclaimer: what works in my rifle might not in yours.

110g Controlled Chaos, CCI 450, 2.230 COAL, CFE223
      30.1 Average 2240 FPS
      30.4 Average 2271 FPS
      30.7 Average 2283 FPS
      31.0 Average 2307 FPS
      31.3 Average 2333 FPS
      31.6 Average 2337 FPS
      31.9 Average 2364 FPS
      32.2 Average 2390 FPS
      32.5 Average 2411 fps
      32.8 Average 2441 FPS

Comment

• Lemonaid
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by doofus65 View Post
        My cases look pretty darn full but I don't feel resistance or hear powder crunching when I seat my bullets. Does anyone else consider 31.5 gr loads "compressed"?

Should I climb a couple more steps up the ladder or just start trying to dial in where I am?

All opinions appreciated.
        I have been trying to avoid compression in my loads. I made a simple tool, basically just a rod close to .264. After measuring the length of the bullet, I make a mark on the rod with the calipers that amount. Fill the case with the test load powder, put in rod with slight finger pressure and measure the cartridge overall length to the mark. If I seat the bullet deeper than that it will start being compressed.
        I think you could take a bullet, sand or lightly file the shank so as to be a loose fit in the case and do the same thing. I just didn't want to ruin a good bullet by doing that
        I have observed that CFE 223 can compress and you don't hear crunching sounds.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
          I have been trying to avoid compression in my loads. I made a simple tool, basically just a rod close to .264. After measuring the length of the bullet, I make a mark on the rod with the calipers that amount. Fill the case with the test load powder, put in rod with slight finger pressure and measure the cartridge overall length to the mark. If I seat the bullet deeper than that it will start being compressed.
          I think you could take a bullet, sand or lightly file the shank so as to be a loose fit in the case and do the same thing. I just didn't want to ruin a good bullet by doing that
          I have observed that CFE 223 can compress and you don't hear crunching sounds.
          You can also vibra settle each case too help stack the charge better and lessen the powder compression when seating the bullet.

Electric toothbrush works fine for doing this.

Comment

• Texkitch
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2017

The latest offering from Lehigh has arrived - thank you Dave and Justin. From Lehigh Defense Website (https://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/bullets/products/264-high-velocity-controlled-chaos-copper-110gr-bullet?variant=43523567816) Length: 1.225 G1 Coefficient: 0.405 Twist Rate: 1:9 Minimum velocity: 1500 fps Price: $31

Comment

• doofus65
              Bloodstained
              • May 2017

Thanks for the input. I didn't know about the vibro-compression system.
              I might have to steal that rod idea also.
              I think I'll build two or three more groups.

Comment

Working...
              X