• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mtnlvr
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
    I use the caldwell bag that attaches to the picatinny rail. The one that wraps around the handguard sucks.
    A couple of potential drawbacks to the picatinny version and that you need a separate adapter for any gun you want to put the bag on, and depending on your optic and where it's mounted, either the optic or the bag mount may have to be positioned in a less than ideal spot if they interfere. When my velcro one fails, I will likely try the picatinny one though.

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

Mtnlvr, the bag attachment part is adjustable. It slides so you can get the bag over the ejection port.

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

Double post for some reason

Comment

• TexHill
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
          I use a brass catcher from tactical brass recovery. They are pricey but mine stays on my gun all the time, except during cleaning. It folds down for bagging/casing the gun. I used one for about 4 years before pro-staffing with them (disclosure statement). It is a good product. The company is veteran owned.

www.tacticalbrassrecovery.com
          +1 on TBR
          When David met Goliath everyone else said, "He's too big to defeat". David said, "He's too big to miss!"

Comment

• HickLife
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2018

Man now I'm even more conflicted on what to do. I love the grendel round, I think it is the best round you could use in the AR platform in all barrel lengths, unless you are going for ultra quiet. Which is why I have a 10.5 and 12.5 barrel on the way, both lilja. These will be the best barrels I've ever put on a gun if everything I have read about them is true, which is why I was wanting to steer clear of steel cased with these. If steel cased ammo really isn't that big of a deal then I might go that route. Especially since after looking at that test again, and if it holds true for the grendel and most of yall say otherwise, I could buy a couple of barrels with the money saved from using it.

I also like what gusmeister said about making another identical upper to shoot 5.56. I could primarily use the 5.56 and switch to the grendel when I want to keep up the familiarity with recoil and to take on hunts.

All that said I think I will get either the caldwell rail brass catcher or the tactical brass recovery. Depending on which way I go with it I'll probably use it primarily for bench shooting so I don't have to chase brass and for when I decide to use the grendel with brass I want to keep (if I shoot steel cased primarily). I like that on some models the tactical brass recovery flips out of the way to help with malfunction clearing and it also folds flat, but it is 225 bucks to get the fold away one but they also offer a 10% discount to first responders and veterans so that helps a little.

Looks like I have some soul searching to do to decide the route I want to take

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
              Warrior
              • Nov 2018

Oh wow that's expensive!

I use Tac-Star Brass Catcher AR-15 Picatinny Rail Mount
              $25 Amazon

Stays tight no problems
              Edit
              Also the rail attachment is very low profile, it doesn't go above the rail.
              Last edited by Happy2Shoot; 05-22-2019, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Happy2Shoot View Post
                Oh wow that's expensive!

I use Tac-Star Brass Catcher AR-15 Picatinny Rail Mount
                $25 Amazon

Stays tight no problems
                HTS:

How well does it work when using an optic?

LR55

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2018

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                  HTS:

How well does it work when using an optic?

LR55
                  See above. I just did an edit.

Comment

Working...
                  X