A top notch quality sizing die (recommend me one)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • R2BRO
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

A top notch quality sizing die (recommend me one)

I use some Lee sizing die. 20% out of 100% in most cases it would size back the case -2 to -4 times more than what i set it for.
    Of course it depends also on how i make a stroke with it etc...

but what i was curious about is, is there some really top notch high end sizing die which keeps the SAME setting i set all the time and is LESS dependable on the speed of my stroke?

Also, another problem with current Lee die is the fact that say...after 100 cases it loosens and i have to tighten it back to get back to original setting....

please recommend me the BEST sizing die (also i assume that die can fit in my current Lee press? cuz its standard thread ? or?)
  • Rosecrans1
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Look at the dies available from Redding. I can't recommend the Hornaday custom dies I have used. They can be finicky. Redding offers several in 6.5G.

Comment

• ricsmall
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

I prefer Redding, but the Hornady I have in 224 Grendel work perfectly. RCBS are fairly good. If Forster makes one, that would be top notch.
      Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Mesa1978
        Warrior
        • May 2015

Another vote for Redding.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Redding

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with the others. I was useing the hornady dies for my ar grendel and Redding for the bolt grendel. The last few loads I have done for my ar grendel I used my Redding full length sizing die and there is no comparison.

Redding is the real deal.

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• DDRanch
                Warrior
                • Jul 2017

Ditto, Redding

Comment

• lazyengineer
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2019

So far I've been running Hornady with few problems; but I haven't run it a lot yet, so might learn of issues as I go I suppose. The die itself is the most static part of the system.

As to brass resizing variability I've found 3 sources for that:
                  1) Different brass fired from different chambers, will not resize all to the exact same size in the same die at the same setting. This has nothing to do with the die itself.
                  2) Expander balls suck, and will sometimes try to drag your shoulder back up. Throw that away and just run the casing resizing the external dimensions only. Then run a 6.5mm Mandrel die (which run dry) right before final charge and seating of the bullet.
                  3) Sometimes the die will loosen up and unscrew itself a bit. This has little to do with the die body itself, and is due to the lock ring system it's using. Lock rings are cheap. I like Horandy's as they have a nice set-screw. And be sure to torque it a little bit too, when seating the die into the base. I run LnL press, so torque mine into the bushing, and then can pop the bushing into and out of the Hornady press nicely. I.e. in the Hornady system, you're not constantly screwing die bodies in and out of your press.
                  4x P100

Comment

• daved20319
                    Warrior
                    • May 2019

I'm having this same debate with myself, do I "economize" and go with Hornady, or do I spend the coin and get Redding? I guess it comes down to why and how do you reload? Is it just to save money and all you're loading is blasting ammo, or are you loading precision ammo and trying to maximize the potential of your rifle? Based on the latter, I'm going to be getting a set of Redding dies, now I just need to decide which set, and whether I want a standard or bushing sizing die. As to the former, if you're just loading blasting ammo for the Grendel, you'd be better off trading it off on a .223, much cheaper to shoot, much bigger variety of readily available ammo, and more than sufficient for everything except larger game hunting out to 300 yards or so. Just my opinion, YMMV. Later.

Dave

Comment

• roor
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2018

Redding type s. Lapua brass should last a long time.

Id always recommend saving for this die. I don't see myself selling off the entire caliber anytime soon so I call it an investment.

Comment

• Popeye212
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2018

Forster I have both Forster and Redding. Forster is as good as the Redding just doesn't have the price tag.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
                          Forster I have both Forster and Redding. Forster is as good as the Redding just doesn't have the price tag.
                          Foerster is what I wanted to try but midway was sold out when so I ordered the Redding dies.

You are correct about the better price tag.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                            Chieftain
                            • Oct 2016

Unless you're running a bolt the Redding Type S are excessive, and will only require you to spend more cash. In which case, the Hornady die set is great. If you reloading bolt, then as already stated - Redding Type S bushing dies.
                            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                              Unless you're running a bolt the Redding Type S are excessive, and will only require you to spend more cash. In which case, the Hornady die set is great. If you reloading bolt, then as already stated - Redding Type S bushing dies.
                              Correct the type s bushing die is not worth the money for ar grendel loads but there standard full length sizing die is simple awesome.

I had been useing the hornady dies for my ar loads and had the Redding full length as back up. Just decided too give it a try the last 2 times I loaded some rounds for my 16 inch and it has a better consistency then the hornady dies.

Comment

Working...
                              X