Clear All
  • Sturn88
    Bloodstained
    • May 2018

Ogive to Base variance between barrels

• 37L1
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

If you are getting acceptable accuracy for your hunting needs, why mess with it?

Now if you are OCD or are wanting to get the tightest groups for each rifle barrel, then you need to load for each one.

And yes, they can vary, sometimes the same barrel made by the same factory is not the "same."

Comment

• Sturn88
      Bloodstained
      • May 2018

Originally posted by 37L1 View Post
      If you are getting acceptable accuracy for your hunting needs, why mess with it?

Now if you are OCD or are wanting to get the tightest groups for each rifle barrel, then you need to load for each one.

And yes, they can vary, sometimes the same barrel made by the same factory is not the "same."
      I feel like If we weren’t all at least a little OCD, we wouldn’t be reloading in the first place

Comment

• LtDan
        Warrior
        • Sep 2017

I have 5 Grendel Barrels and not one of them are even close to be near the same. I have to load for each one differently

Comment

• maxxmojo
          Bloodstained
          • Jul 2016

My 16" AA is much shorter than my 18" Lilja. As mentioned I just note it and load accordingly.

Comment

• Sturn88
            Bloodstained
            • May 2018

Went ahead and shot the shorter loads out of both guns yesterday. Ended up picking up ~90 FP and my SD and ES were identical so I’ll be able to standardize that particular load

Comment

• BCHunter
              Warrior
              • Jan 2018

Yep, the shoulder bump may be highly variable also. I'm loading for 3 grendels. luckily 2 have similar bump but it's short .004" from unfired factory, my Odin is .010" from factory so after .003" bump back it's still longer then the other 2.

Comment

• JASmith
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2014

The variability is a by-product of 1/2 degree portion of the compound throat.

One gets a robust tolerance for the differences of seating depths caused by magazine length constraints.

One result is that folks who get good accuracy with long-nosed 120-130 grain bullets also get good accuracy with 85-90 grain bullets.
                shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Texas
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2016

There are a number of factors that go into the accuracy of a barrel. If you take a given barrel, and alter the profile to change its harmonics, you can have a significant variance in accuracy, especially with a gas gun

Comment

Working...
                  X