• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Letmwork
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2019

120 smk

Found a good combo shoots 5 rounds at 1" or better. 27.3 IMR 8208 XBR under a 120 SMK. COAL 2.265, CCI 450 right at 2400fps (via magnito speed) Out of a 20". Figured i would share for others who may be pursuing a simular combo. Very easy on brass.
  • Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

Right now my pet load for Frosty is 28.0 8208xbr,CCI450, Starline brass. Velocity on the Magnetospeed 2488fps SD 9

Comment

• Chipj4
      Bloodstained
      • Apr 2018

May I ask what the make of your barrel is? I am curious because I have an 18" Odin Works. The best load I have worked up so far is a 120g SMK over 26.3g of 8208XBR. it runs around 2300 FPS. It works well in both Hornady and Lapua cases but seems to do a little better in the Lapua. OAL 2.260. It also seems to work best with CCI#41 but also does well with WSR. I have yet to try CCI#450s. I average just under MOA with some 3/4th inch groups at 130 yards (weird range distance). Oddly so far it seems to not like the 123g SMKs or 123g ELDs. I am glad I found a load but have been a little disappointed with how finicky the barrel is. They are not on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Comment

• Letmwork
        Unwashed
        • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Chipj4 View Post
        May I ask what the make of your barrel is? I am curious because I have an 18" Odin Works. The best load I have worked up so far is a 120g SMK over 26.3g of 8208XBR. it runs around 2300 FPS. It works well in both Hornady and Lapua cases but seems to do a little better in the Lapua. OAL 2.260. It also seems to work best with CCI#41 but also does well with WSR. I have yet to try CCI#450s. I average just under MOA with some 3/4th inch groups at 130 yards (weird range distance). Oddly so far it seems to not like the 123g SMKs or 123g ELDs. I am glad I found a load but have been a little disappointed with how finicky the barrel is. They are not on the cheaper end of the spectrum.
        Honestly i have no clue who the manufacture is.

Comment

• Popeye212
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Chipj4 View Post
          Ballistic Advantage 20" DMR I have gotten a .271 MOA with that load and depending on my shake level on a given day it will consistently do .5 to .75. I have not had that much luck with the 123's I need to to try the 123 SMK's again.

Comment

• ih784
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2019

I have some 120s. After I get done figuring out these 107s, maybe my 8208 will push those 120s well.

Comment

• Cereal Thriller
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2019

Got some loaded up for testing,

Hornady brass
              120 SMK HPBT
              27gr 8208
              450 cci
              2.240 coal

Comment

• Letmwork
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Cereal Thriller View Post
                Got some loaded up for testing,

Hornady brass
                120 SMK HPBT
                27gr 8208
                450 cci
                2.240 coal
                Lets us know how they shoot

Comment

• Cereal Thriller
                  Bloodstained
                  • Feb 2019

Flew like crap,

Made up a few more loads using different seating depth to see if it helps.

If not I am going to 123 eld and starting over

Comment

• Popeye212
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2018

They don't group in my barrel (BA 20" )at 27gr. They do well at 2.245 or 2.250 around 28.0 grains. The 8208 does well on the upper end but approach with caution.

Comment

• Cereal Thriller
                      Bloodstained
                      • Feb 2019

Loaded up 3 more tests loads

Still at 27.4gr of 8208

Will try at 2.250, 2.255 and 2.255 oal

Depending on how these fly I will may go up in powder up to 28gr or go with the 123eld bullets

Friends dad is working on loads as well of various powders, crimp, no crimp, seating depth.. he is retired and spends his days tinkering.

Comment

• Cereal Thriller
                        Bloodstained
                        • Feb 2019

Last load is 2.260 oal..

Will see. Was hot after work today and I decided to go home, shower and relax with a cold beer.

Comment

• Letmwork
                          Unwashed
                          • Apr 2019

I would keep working it up until you either find the accuracy or over pressure. As far as seating depth the SMK is known to be pretty tollerent when it comes to that. My advise would be load to a standard length and work up with powder volumes until you find a good node. Then go to seating depths to maximize accuracy. Just my opinion

Comment

• biffj
                            Unwashed
                            • Apr 2016

I finally got to test the new 20 in Odin barrel today with some ammo I'd loaded for the previous setup. 120gr Matchkings with 27.5gr 8208 and rem 7 1/2 primers. Shot one group at about a half inch with all 5 touching and a couple 3/4" groups. I also tried the 123gr Matchkings but they seemed to pattern more than group. After spending some time figuring out where contact with the lands occurs I realized the mag wouldn't hold them. 2.355 was contact but anything over about 2.275 drags in the mag. The 120s make contact at 2.255 so maybe thats why they work better. I'm about 5 to 10 thou off the lands with the 120s. I think I'll stick with them. Seems the 123's of all sorts aren't working for most shooters in the Grendel.

Frank

Comment

• LR1955
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2011

Guys:

In a number of other threads, mostly concerning barrels that may not shoot well, I advised loading up some 120 Match Kings and if they did not shoot well through the barrel, get a new barrel.

It doesn't matter how much or little you stand off from the lands, and as long as you use a powder recommended for the 120 grain bullet weights, my bet is the load will shoot around 3/4 a minute to one minute regularly. Change a component or OAL and my bet it will shoot from 3/4 to one minute regularly. It is a very forgiving bullet that will shoot very well over a huge range of variables. It may not shoot that mythical 1/4 minute and rarely will it shoot 1/2 minute but I bet it will shoot 3/4 to one minute providing the barrel is even moderately good.

As for the 123 Sierra, guys on the forum have shot that bullet since the Grendel came out and about ten percent of them got it to perform relatively consistently. None of them got it to perform as consistently as the 120. The 123 Lapua is far more forgiving than the 123 Sierra. And the 108 Lapua is far more forgiving than the 107 Sierra -- another bullet that few here trust to give them consistent performance in their Grendel.

So, it would be pretty rare for a guy to have poor results with a 120 Sierra yet good results with a VLD or hybrid type of ogive. In fact, I have not seen any post on the forum to date where a guy thought the 120 did not perform yet a more complex bullet design did.

LR55

Comment

Working...
                              X